Is there a way to treat coccidiosis naturally?

southerngirl29

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
I'm not going to treat my chickens with medicines. I wanted to know if there is a way to treat them naturally. I have ACV in their water and have them rice/cayenne/hot sauce for three days. I'm not sure if its coccidiosis or something else. Our local vet doesn't treat chickens. Please let me know! I'm sort of on my own here and can't seem to find much info on the Internet either.

Well, you can provide electrolytes and probiotics and hope that some survive. If any survive, you can breed from them and perhaps their chicks will have more of a natural resistance to cocci.

I'm not going to treat my chickens with medicines. I wanted to know if there is a way to treat them naturally. I have ACV in their water and have them rice/cayenne/hot sauce for three days. I'm not sure if its coccidiosis or something else. Our local vet doesn't treat chickens. Please let me know! I'm sort of on my own here and can't seem to find much info on the Internet either.
There's not a ton of info on "natural" treatments for coccidiosis because it's very hard to treat naturally without a high mortality rate. Most people would rather have live, healthy birds that were medicated for 5 days then dead all natural birds. Corid (amprolium) is not something that stays in their system very long, so once treatment is finished it clears out pretty quick.

I have not heard of using rice/cayenne/hot sauce as treatment and I'm not sure I'd be giving them hot sauce and cayenne when their intestines are already inflammed/damaged by cocci.

I posted treatment notes on one of your other threads about cocci.

Prevention by supplying probiotics and assisting a bird's immune system is one thing, but you cannot cure coccidiosis with anything other than Amprolium /Sulfa drugs. Garlic granules, horseradish powder, star anise oil are some of the immune building ingredients in the formulated feed I buy. That along with vitamin-electrolyte supplementation, probiotics in water can only benefit the bird's immune system if done according to manufacturer labels. It has been a few years since I've had to treat symptoms of coccidiosis, and I attribute some of it to not being a cheapskate when it comes to feed, and being methodical about supplementation. Lots depend on environment as well. Coccidiosis thrives in warm, moist environments, crowded environments, and areas where there are many migratory birds. If one examines Table 4 on the following link, you'll see which drugs coccidia strains are vulnerable to. When you see the word, Sulfaquinoxaline, think Sulfadimethoxine. It is much easier on a chicken's system than say, Sodium Sulfamethazine, which is the ingredient in the commonly sold product, Sulmet, at feed stores. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

Last edited:

Don't treat your chickens with medicines, and you will have dead chickens.

Don't treat your chickens with medicines, and you will have dead chickens.

I have 4 day old nonvaccinated chicks. I live in a hot humid area in the midsouth. So far the chicks have received nonmedicated feed bc none of the feed stores here offered it. They receive vitamins,etc in their water. When I received them, I gave them GroGel. They also have a small amount of baby chick grit sprinkled on their chick feed.

My question is: At what age do I need to treat them with Corid or something and for how many days? The feed store employee suggested waiting until they are several weeks old and then give them Wazine.

I would love to hear what someone in the midsouth has found effective.

All of these chicks came from a private breeder. Am I able to add chicks from a hatchery source which are sold at a feed store to this group now? Or would I be introducing a disease since they would be coming from another source?

I have never had chicks on my property before.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. For the previous poster who wished to not use meds, I did read about Permanganate of potash.

Back
Top Bottom