Is there an Antibiotic safe for Egg-layers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rebecky54, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    I have a bird with fowl pox and another with a watery eye. I've read about all of the suggestions for a poultry medicine chest with the common antibiotics to keep on hand. However, when I go to a site to purchase the meds, they all state "not for use in birds laying eggs for human consumption" and there is no egg-withdrawal type listed.

Are there ANY antibiotics that are acceptable for layers?

Thanks,

Becky

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is no point at all in giving an antibiotic systemically for fowl pox, and probably not for the watery eye. Both can be treated with topical ointments, and really, fowl pox will ordinarily go away on its own without treatment. Kind of like chicken pox in kids, they just have to go through it and then they won't get it again. Well I guess there is a vaccine for it now.

By law, no antibiotics are acceptable for layers, I'm pretty sure. If you are allergic to penicillin and eat an egg from a chicken who has had penicillin, you can see how this might be a problem. I think most people just consider what they or their family is allergic to. If you sell or give away egg, though, that is another matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by