IS THERE ANY CURE!

kimfischer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
NE Iowa
OK, about 1 month ago i had an older chicken die from something i don't know at first i thought she just died of old age or something like that but befor she died she found the coolest spot possible on the hot day. all of the other chickens were fine and running around so, i new something was wrong with her i left her there the rest of the day but when it was time to close up the chickens she wasn't there so i went and found her in the same spot still alive i carried her to the coop put her in her spot shut the lights off and said my goodbyes to her the next morning she was dead on the coop floor with her legs spread out. that sounds like she was just dieing of old age right. well she was a perfectly healthy chicken and all the other chickens were healthy too. heres another story that is happening now. 3 days ago i noticed something wrong with my hen when i tried to catch her i noticed when she ran i would hear a sound coming from her that sounded like swooshing water. now today she is very lazy and our rooster is very protective and her poop is really runny. yes she is an old chicken but i think there is something else wrong with her. any ideas. i need help befor my other hens go down too.
hit.gif

You might check her crop to see that it is emptying by morning, and feel of her abdomen. Sometimes with egg laying problems they can get fluid in the belly. Most of us have lost a chicken suddenly with no symptoms of illness. I hope you can figure out the problem.

My hen that died bad similar symptoms. Necropsy showed egg yolk leakage and pneumonia. Did you see any yellowish discharge around her? Not sure what you could to treat though. Sorry.

follow up on my sick hen she had clear fluid coming out of her mouth and nose she seems perfectly fine but she is also a little slow. is there any cure or will she die?

Sometimes they will lose water out of their beaks if they have just drunk lots of water. In a hen with sour crop, they can spit up liquid when you pick them up and hold them sideways or with their head down. Does she have a full squishy crop that does not empty by morning? Sour crop is common and thought to be a fungal infection.

Back
Top Bottom