Is there any hope for Crowe?

RockinFlock

Chirping
Oct 24, 2021
Western PA
Hi, about two nights ago my husband couldn't find our smallest chicken. My daughter and I went to search and found her laying down, somewhat leaning, in a clearing. She was attacked by a hawk. My daughter saw the hawk earlier but didn't think that it would've just come from attacking the chickens.

Crowe has a few puncture wounds on her back. The biggest problem is a large hole, about 2 inches wide on her back under her left wing, close to the middle of her back. I do not have a picture of it because she was in too much pain and we were distraught. We have cleaned the wounds with wound care, used Neosporin and that blue bottle spray. Vetericin?? And Blu Kote. We have antibiotics but didn't treat her with it. She eats and drinks somewhat normal. I say somewhat because she ignored grapes which she usually loves. But she is eating and drinking fine. We put lots of supplements and electrolytes in her water.

Here is the problem: she is not using her legs. She can move them, she means on one side and one just sort of splays out. She can pull them in, somewhat, if we hold her up (we were talking her out of the crate to clean and dress her wounds). She does not seem to use her legs at all. She moves around by swinging her wings and using them to push off. It can't be painless.

What do we do? She is our runt. An Easter egger. A vet isn't possible. Is she paralyzed and the little movement we've witnessed is more like muscle memory?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-133643-948.png
    Screenshot_20211101-133643-948.png
    711.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20211101-133551-774.png
    Screenshot_20211101-133551-774.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 7
I see how Crowe got her name. Glad that her wounds are healing. Hawks can hit with great power, but hopefully her spine was not injured. Check out the homemade chicken sling chairs to get her upright, keep more clean, and food and water can be right within reach:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Allow her time out of the sling to stretch and to sleep.

Thanks for checking in and sorry I didn't update sooner. We made a sling for her out of an old tshirt. The first time I put her in it, she managed to jump out of it and spill her food and water which was encouraging, lol. ...And I just realized I maybe could've used her harness... Oh well. She doesn't mind her sling now and won't fuss too much when we put her in it.

Her appetite and drinking is still good. Poos stink to high heaven, but are ideal. I gave her a soak a few days back to get rid of her clumped poop, she didn't mind that. Her wounds actually scabbed over pretty quick and are healing wayyyy faster than her legs.

I was greatly discouraged for a while because I didn't think she was making much progress, but she surprised us one day by trying to stand. She made it for less than a second but progress was progress!

Today she is standing! She is starting to take tentative steps, but mostly she stands, which is progress.

This was her "first" time in the sling, she wasn't really using her legs. Her water isn't dirty, it has all the goodies in it, and maybe a little bit of food since she's an "active" eater. I added the background so she would think she was flying. (If you build it, they will come) haha.
Crowe flying high!

Now we work on strategies for reintroducing her to the flock when the time comes.

Picture of Crowe standing. She was so motivated she decided to take on a bear and a volcano. This is totally NOT photoshopped! (You can see she still 'somewhat' favors the one side, but standing is great news!
Crowe overcoming

Back
Top Bottom