Is there any possibility that this is not a Rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RM44, Oct 7, 2009.

1. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    We have 3 six month old RIRs, 1 five month old RIR, 1 five month old Black Australorp and 2 three month old black australorps. Of the oldest 5 (the six month old RIRs, five month old RIR and BA), only one looks remarkably different than the rest. None are laying yet, and none are even singing the egg song. Below are some pics of the "odd-ball". He (we think) has not crowed yet either, and none of them are putting on spurs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pic of the girls:

[​IMG]

Is there any way that the first one is just a "manly" hen? And why are they not laying yet?

Thanks for your help.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    100% roo....sorry.

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sorry...see the shiny hackle and saddle feathers? 100% roo. He's pretty, though!

Shelly

4. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Thanks for a quick reply. He's so sweet too. We haven't seen him "gettin' jiggy" with the ladies either. Are they all just slow? No eggs, no crowing, no -ahem....-you know; nothing. What's up with that? Am I just too impatient?

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Some chickens just take longer than others to mature. Just be patient...the eggs will come.

6. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Definitely roo.
    My chickens are past 6 months old and no eggs yet, either.....sometimes they just take their sweet old time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by