Is there any reason that a hatchery would purposely send dead chicks?

AmyRey

Songster
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Obviously, this is a first for me (or rather, my friend).

Her chicks and ducks came and there are a surprising number of dead chicks in the box. From the picture she sent, it looked like about half her chicks didn't make it. (She didn't say anything about dead ducklings, so I assume they are all okay.)

Your friend needs to get in contact with the hatchery. Most of them will give you some compensation for losses. That is why when you open your chicks at the Post Office, which some hatcheries require, you have witness to your losses and can seek compensation. If they are a reputable hatchery, this is common practice. It is not uncommon to lose chicks and ducks through the mail. Because sometimes the postal service doesn't handle them properly they are lost or maybe they got cold along the way, some may just have been weak in the first place.
This is NOT uncommon, but work with the hatchery and hope for better on the next batch.

I'm sure the chicks were very much alive when the left the hatchery. If they were shipped through cold weather or were delayed, they probably just were not able to stay warm enough. If your friend calls the hatchery, they will most likely send her replacement chicks.

I always hate to hear about chicks that die during shipping.
sad.png

Is half an extraordinarily large percentage to lose in shipment?

And should she expect that ALL the chicks shipped were the breed she ordered?

ETA - The box count is:

Four healthy chicks
Four dead chicks
One weak, sickly chick
Four healthy ducklings

She ordered four random ducks and four buff orpington pullets.

Is this normal? And should she expect the remaining chicks to be BO pullets?

I know, I know - she should call the hatchery. lol

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about her loss. This past week was my first time mail ordering chicks from a hatchery and I have the same story as your friend. I ordered 9 Buff Orpingtons, 8 Black Australops and 8 Barred Rock pullets.

I knew that there was a slight chance of DOA, but I was only expecting one or two.

The chicks were shipped out on Monday and I picked them up from the post office at 630 am on Wednesday, when I opened the box all the dead one's were on one side and the alive one's were on the separate side. I called the hatchery and they are sending out my replacements on Monday and I am praying for a better outcome, but I will be honest I am a bit scared it will be repeat..

Out of the one's I loss were 7 Barred Rocks, 3 black australops, and 3 Buff orpingtons
hit.gif

So I am sooooo nervous about Wednesday Morning.

Please let me know how your friends next order goes.

Well, she really only needed four chicks for this weekend. And I guess technically, she got her four healthy pullets (assuming the remaining ones are all girls). She really doesn't need any more. And she doesn't need any after this weekend.

That just seems like a lot to have lost during shipment. But I'm not at all familiar with how shipping chicks works. Maybe this is normal. *shrug*

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this...a lot has to do with how the post office handles them and if they are kept warm enough...are they put in the back of a cold truck????

She is a photographer and wanted some to use as props for Easter pictures this weekend. She did find homes for all the babies before she ordered them (mine being one).

Back
Top Bottom