Is there any way to tell which duck laid an egg?

DuckyDonna

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Georgia
I've got 4 Indian Runner girls. 3 of them are over 1 1/2 and 1 is 6 months old. I've had a couple "fairy eggs" from what I assumed from the youngest girl. But I only get on the average 2 eggs a day. Sometimes they are 2 great big ones and sometimes 1 big and one chicken size. I'm just wondering out of 4 girls who's laying and who's not! I thought about putting food coloring around the vent or is that absolutuly stupid?

Some Ducks don't lay daily just like chickens. Not sure why it's important?
I figure the 3 old ones should be laying and all are not. Plus I'm wondering if my little one is laying since I got those 2 fairy eggs.

I do have a girl that has a shaky leg that I've been treating with B-complex and I'm wondering if she's sick and can't lay

The Pullet/eggs will have a yolk and fairy eggs don't..
Possibly a egg laying issue???
I'm thinking you need to supply Oyster shell.

The fairy eggs didn't have a yolk. When you say pullet egg do you mean from my one young duck? I have oyster shell and all 4 girls gobble it up! I've sat and watched!

The fairy eggs didn't have a yolk. When you say pullet egg do you mean from my one young duck? I have oyster shell and all 4 girls gobble it up! I've sat and watched!
Yes. Called a Pullet egg because at first they are small. They contain a yolk. A fairy or fart egg from an older duck won't have a yolk.

Yes. Called a Pullet egg because at first they are small. They contain a yolk. A fairy or fart egg from an older duck won't have a yolk.
oh so the fairy/fart eggs were from an old girl! But....my old girls are only a year and 1/2 old. That's not all that old for Indian runners. Which makes me question why did whoever laid it lay it? The old girls were 8 1/2 months old when they started laying so it's not like they would be at the end of their cycle right?

oh so the fairy/fart eggs were from an old girl! But....my old girls are only a year and 1/2 old. That's not all that old for Indian runners. Which makes me question why did whoever laid it lay it? The old girls were 8 1/2 months old when they started laying so it's not like they would be at the end of their cycle right?
Not anything to worry about. As long as the eggs are coming out that's a great thing..

Back
Top Bottom