Is there any way to tell which duck laid an egg?

Younger birds can also lay fairy eggs.
If it's an egg that's small but fully developed, i.e. has a yolk and all the parts, that's a pullet egg. You get those only in young birds.
If it's a egg that's small and doesn't have a yolk, that's a fairy egg. Those happen in birds that are just starting to lay, and also in older birds. Young birds may also lay shell-less eggs, or eggs that are otherwise not formed properly, as their egg factory gets up and running. That's generally not a bad sign, it just means they're still calibrating things. Eggs are kinda complicated to make from scratch.

You can see who needs to lay an egg; they have a bulge between their leggs. But this is only a few hours before it lays.
They will act nervous, can't seem to lay down, try to, stand up again, maybe move some straw back and forth, and make a weird scratching noise with their legs when actually laying.

You can also feel it; you can feel who's hips are wider. This is a method that is learned to me; you can indeed feel it... but I don't feel okay with this method. Since there are other methods...

You can tell by the colour of the eggs. Depending what colour your ducks are. Not 100% proof, but it gives an indicator. Bigger ducks give bigger eggs; again not a 100% proof thing, but it gives an indicator.

You can buy night sheds, for each duck seperatly, that you open after they have laid an egg. Also not a thing I like to do.

I also don't like the colouring-stuff method.

Are they inclosed at night? If not; ducks are not like chickens. They can poop their egg out anywhere. They are not so roost-bound. Maybe they all have laid; you just haven't found them. Especially indian runner ducks. It's easter everyday.

For the rest; watch them a lot and have patience. They tend to do it at night/morning. don't know if your up that early/late. But around midnight I can see who has the bump or not bteween their leggs. And they lay between 04.00 and 07.00. But you can allways clearly see it.

And otherwise; hang up a camera :p

You can see who needs to lay an egg; they have a bulge between their leggs. But this is only a few hours before it lays.
They will act nervous, can't seem to lay down, try to, stand up again, maybe move some straw back and forth, and make a weird scratching noise with their legs when actually laying.

You can also feel it; you can feel who's hips are wider. This is a method that is learned to me; you can indeed feel it... but I don't feel okay with this method. Since there are other methods...

You can tell by the colour of the eggs. Depending what colour your ducks are. Not 100% proof, but it gives an indicator. Bigger ducks give bigger eggs; again not a 100% proof thing, but it gives an indicator.

You can buy night sheds, for each duck seperatly, that you open after they have laid an egg. Also not a thing I like to do.

I also don't like the colouring-stuff method.

Are they inclosed at night? If not; ducks are not like chickens. They can poop their egg out anywhere. They are not so roost-bound. Maybe they all have laid; you just haven't found them. Especially indian runner ducks. It's easter everyday.

For the rest; watch them a lot and have patience. They tend to do it at night/morning. don't know if your up that early/late. But around midnight I can see who has the bump or not bteween their leggs. And they lay between 04.00 and 07.00. But you can allways clearly see it.

And otherwise; hang up a camera :p
Thank you for your advice. You have a lot of knowledge for sure! I will try to do what you say.

Back
Top Bottom