1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is there anyone who guarantees shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollybird, Aug 12, 2008.

1. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    i have had nothing hatch from shipped eggs and am reluctant to spend more money. i have ordered chicks too but want to try some rare breeds. i bought eggs from four sources and three batches didn't hatch and one stiffed me all together. my bantam hens are dutiful mothers but we wait and wait and then get nothing. i know that it's hard to say something was not neglected after it leaves your house and it will cost the shipper more for replacements. i have a hard time with the things like Marans prices when i may get 0 chicks. for an amount like $40 seems like you should get something?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    No one can guarantee that you will have a hatch from shipped eggs...that's just the risk or gamble you have to take...I've had 90% hatches from shipped and zero ones...it's beyond control from a shippers house to the buyers with post office and travel.....

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Your best bet would be to check the sellers feedback.

I've had oK luck with shipped eggs. My last being pretty darn good (70%)

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've had horrible luck so far with shipped eggs, but I think it's the distance they travel. Yes, it is a lot of money to spend, and at some point you have to decide that enough is enough. As much as I hate to ship chicks, I have to do it if I can't find the breeds I want locally (which is the case). I have incubated hundreds of eggs, and have 8 chicks (well, 6 since two died of post-hatching complications) to show for it. But those chicks are precious precious precious additions to my breeding flock, and well worth the heartbreak of the 0% hatches. [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Stuff happens [​IMG] . My best shipped eggs were from BYC'ers. I got a box with a hole punched in it and a lot of broken eggs(non BYC), but I still have just over 50% developing. I had another that got scrambled by the PO badly. I got 1 out of 16 to even develop. Unfortunately it is a big risk. The only guarantee I have gotten is some will replace for the cost of shipping(BYC'er), better than nothing. Really study your breed and then find a reputable breeder, especially for the expensive eggs. Your best bet is to try to find someone local with the breeds you like. Go to a poultry show in your area and see if you have any luck.
    Krista

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't really think that is it possible to garuntee hatching eggs even if they weren't shipped

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    a person cant even garentee fresh eggs from a local farm.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I agree, there are so many variables and so many things that can go wrong incubating/brooding that no one can guarantee them. The only thing I think they could guarantee is a percentage(approx) of fertility.

Krista

9. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    if the egg is meant to hatch then it will hatch!![​IMG] if it doesnt then it just wasnt meant to be! thats how i look at it when i get shipped eggs!!

10. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Have you considered ordering from a hatchery? Many of them have rare breeds. It may work out cheaper in the long run.

I don't know of anyone who guarantees shipped eggs (myself included). There is no way to know how they are handed at the PO, if they are Xrayed, if the person buying them lets them rest before incubating, incubator temps and humidity etc. There are just too many variables with incubating eggs, shipped or not.

I completely understand how you feel. I have a $35 Welsummer. The only chick to hatch from an order of shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by