Is there ANYTHING I can do for Marek's at all?

It comes in liquid or powder. The 20% liquid dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water changed daily, the only source of water for 5 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. Make sure that he drinks. What do his poops look like? He looks very ill in the picture.
he hasn't pooped yet that I can tell but he's been drinking a lot and extending all his limbs and head when he needs to and he responds to me vocally when I talk to him. I might try feeding him yogurt or eggs tonight if he hasn't pooped yet.

There’s nothing with a vet I can do

I it was dark out when I started the thread. Just now though I brought him into the garage under a heat lamp.

I’ll get pics of his poop when when he poops

He’s still got strength and awareness left as when I went to pick him up there was resistance

View attachment 3673295
View attachment 3673296

he hasn't pooped yet that I can tell but he's been drinking a lot and extending all his limbs and head when he needs to and he responds to me vocally when I talk to him. I might try feeding him yogurt or eggs tonight if he hasn't pooped yet.
Is his crop emptying?

Poor little guy, hopefully he'll pull through, keep us posted.

I just had to cull a favorite hen who had Marek's for a while and I could tell because she had one small pupil for about a year, she seemed fine and healthy until last week, when I found her basically dead, lying in a corner of the run and sadly culled her. I know that chickens spread Mareks like wildfire so all my chickens have it it's just dormant or something.

Today, one of my favorite cockerels, Clint, who I'm integrating into my large flock, looked lethargic and somewhat ruffled, other than that he was fine, not pale or purple, normal poop, eating and drinking, and walking, he just looked like he was cold and was letting his wings droop down. Is it possible to heal a chicken or do things to boost the chances of them getting over it? I plan on separating him tomorrow. I'm naturally assuming its marek's as i don't know if he's ever come in contact with it before
Hi — sorry to hear about your hen! It’s awful. I believe to have Mareks disease in my flock. I took one hen to the vet and they treated her for low calcium level. I took her back and had her put down. I kept her separate during the time. However, last week I had a Rooster displaying the same symptoms, and had him also put down. I am freaking out because I have about 30 chickens and they are in a large barn with attached run. And mostly free range. All of them have been exposed at this point. A little over half our vaccinated and there are a few I hatched that are not vaccinated. I don’t know what to do at this point. The first one I put down was a Russian Orloff she was vaccinated but her symptoms were spot on with mareks disease. The diagnosed or even say that she thought it was that without further “ expensive” testing. It was horrible to see what happened to her. She was so beautiful and such a strong personality. I don’t want any more of my flock to suffer like that. The Rooster had put down was unvaccinated, and I did not have the vet examine him because their examination for Russia was useless and $$. They did nothing for her. I noticed there was something wrong with him when the rest of the flock was pushing him away and then suddenly he was having trouble walking so it definitely hit him faster than if he was vaccinated . Is there any hope for the unvaccinated ones??? Any advice on how to overcome this is greatly appreciated. Again they have a barn as a coop and mostly free range. Right now I feel like a deer in headlights because the project ahead of me is quite overwhelming but can not watch any more suffer that horrible disease. It’s a large space to disinfect. Does anyone know if there Is there any type of disinfecting bomb (similar to flee bomb) that could be used? Its a large project . Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom