Is there ANYTHING I can do for Marek's at all?

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
I just had to cull a favorite hen who had Marek's for a while and I could tell because she had one small pupil for about a year, she seemed fine and healthy until last week, when I found her basically dead, lying in a corner of the run and sadly culled her. I know that chickens spread Mareks like wildfire so all my chickens have it it's just dormant or something.

Today, one of my favorite cockerels, Clint, who I'm integrating into my large flock, looked lethargic and somewhat ruffled, other than that he was fine, not pale or purple, normal poop, eating and drinking, and walking, he just looked like he was cold and was letting his wings droop down. Is it possible to heal a chicken or do things to boost the chances of them getting over it? I plan on separating him tomorrow. I'm naturally assuming its marek's as i don't know if he's ever come in contact with it before

Today, one of my favorite cockerels, Clint, who I'm integrating into my large flock, looked lethargic and somewhat ruffled, other than that he was fine, not pale or purple, normal poop, eating and drinking, and walking, he just looked like he was cold and was letting his wings droop down.
Can you get a quick fecal float from your vet to see if Coccidiosis is the problem?

Photos of him and his poop?

Can you get a quick fecal float from your vet to see if Coccidiosis is the problem?

Photos of him and his poop?
Can you keep him warm overnight, by maybe bringing him inside where it is warm? Offer some water with electrolytes. If you lose him, the best thing to do would be to have your state vet do a necropsy to look for Mareks. Ruling it out will let you plan for the future. Sorry for your loss.

There’s nothing with a vet I can do

I it was dark out when I started the thread. Just now though I brought him into the garage under a heat lamp.

I’ll get pics of his poop when when he poops

He’s still got strength and awareness left as when I went to pick him up there was resistance

IMG_2077.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

would treating for Coccidiosis if he didnt have it be bad?
No, but it might save his life if he has it. Do not use vitamin b1 thiamine while treating with Corid for coccidiosis. So skip the Big Ol Bird until after Corid is finished. The state vet lab performs necropsies on chickens that die, so it is not a vet that you would go to with your chicken. In what state are you located?

No, but it might save his life if he has it. Do not use vitamin b1 thiamine while treating with Corid for coccidiosis. So skip the Big Ol Bird until after Corid is finished. The state vet lab performs necropsies on chickens that die, so it is not a vet that you would go to with your chicken. In what state are you located?
Corid will be picked up and TSC tomorrow then and I'll start that. What does the treatment look like? with like the amount and how long etc?
Im in NY

It comes in liquid or powder. The 20% liquid dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water changed daily, the only source of water for 5 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. Make sure that he drinks. What do his poops look like? He looks very ill in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom