Possible mareks

Cheyman_coldman

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
So I’m on my 3rd sick bird since July they all came from tractor supply and are all the same breed. The first one started out very lethargic wouldn’t eat or drink seemed like its legs didn’t work poop was liquid green. Then it died. Lasted maybe 3 days. Second bird same thing I tried to nurse it back to health but nothing. My husband did some autopsy stuff with it to see if it had anything wrong inside and it was perfectly fine. Didn’t have an impacted crop. Now I’m on the 3rd acting the same. They aren’t a year old yet and them getting sick and dying has all been spread out, last one died in October. None of my other birds are having problems. No idea what to do. I’m down to 1 with this batch of 4 I got. Any idea? I looked into mareks and some things were the same but not everything. There are no tumors, nothing wrong with the feathers. No splayed legs. This ones legs are tucked under her and shanking. I did the flip test to see if one leg stuck out and the other stayed tucked and it does. As did all the others but them dying has been so spread out. Help

Sorry for your loss. Did any ever have signs of coccidiosis? Those include lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up or hunched, diarrhea, and not eating. Can you try to get the pullet drinking some sugar water or electrolytes and eating? Is there any possibility of eating something poisonous or moldy? If you should lose this one, I would keep the body refrigerated in a trash bag, and take it or send it in on Monday am to your state vet lab for a necropsy. They can test for various diseases and Mareks. Here is a list of them to contact near you:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I haven’t seen them hunch over like that or have bloody poop. Do these labs charge since it’s a school?
Most state vet labs do charge a fee for a necropsy. They may give a discount for backyard chickens. Each state is different, and some such as California, have inexpensive necropsies. What state are you in?

This is her she is still alive?!?! She is so weak, I didn’t feel any eggs near the area to be egg bound. I can put her in any position I want but if I set her on her side or back she will do like a freak out

Attachments

• IMG_6632.jpeg
    IMG_6632.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6627.jpeg
    IMG_6627.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 4
This is her she is still alive?!?! She is so weak, I didn’t feel any eggs near the area to be egg bound. I can put her in any position I want but if I set her on her side or back she will do like a freak out
Okay well I pulled yellow mucus out of her mouth and a few minutes later she freaked out and then passed away.

Back
Top Bottom