Is there anything I can do for this chick?

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I have a 3-4 day old RIR chick that isn't doing very well. She (will call her this because that's what she's supposed to be...just just to avoid saying IT) had a pasty butt a couple times, which I cleaned off, and she pooped immediately afterwards.... and doesn't have any this morning...but she's also not eating. I have been keeping a close eye on the chicks (15 of them) so I don't think she was pasted up for very long. She's the only one not lively and tearing the brooder apart with her antics. She's just existing. Last night she wouldn't lay down. She'd just stand there with her head drooped. She'd raise it when bumped into, then lower it again. When I go in, they all scatter. Not her.

Anyway.... everyone else is fine, the temp is at 95, and everyone scatters about to play, eat and sleep (no one piled under the lamp). I have been dipping her beak in the water (with vitamins and electrolytes in it) to try to keep her drinking, which she does raise her head after I dip it. The other chicks seem to be bothering her, so I found a tiny box, put some shavings in it, and put her in it, in teh brooder, just to keep her safe. But I think I'm going to lose her.

Am I doing the right things, the wrong things? Is there something I could be doing that I'm not?

Angie

Can I try to syringe feed this chick something? I saw on another post someone fed oatmeal? I don't have any unflavored oatmeal (I have maple and brown sugar packets
wink.png
)...I'd have to buy some. Anything else I might have on hand? I know we can't save 'em all...but I'd like to say I at least did what I could for her.

Now that I have her in her own little box, she seems a little unhappy away from the others. They are around her....but she can't see them. She's chirping. But...alert, which she wasn't before. Before, she just layed there and let them walk all over her.

It may be my imagination, but she seems smaller to me than the rest.

Angie

Some chicks are just not meant to thrive
sad.png
I've had to cull 2 chicks from my last batch of hatched eggs. I find it easier to let them go then to let them suffer, that's just me though..

Good Luck with your little chick and I hope it survives.

She just died.

For future reference, how do you cull a chick? I had read some people put them in the freezer. Is that a humane, acceptable way of doing it? I'm asking because I don't know. Is it ok, they just go to sleep right away?

The rest are very active and happy. The australorps are quite funny and wherever my hand is, they are, as if they are looking for something to come out of it. The RIRs are a bit more stand-offish, but the aussies are right there wherever the action is.

Anyway... I had hoped this chick might make a turn around, but just wasn't meant to be. She just didn't seem to be thriving like everyone else. She was active in the beginning....

Angie

I cull with a pair of sharp scissors. It's actually rather easy to do, I mean it doesn't take much pressure or anything.

I'm sorry your little chick died though
hugs.gif

Oh my gosh....
sad.png

I'd really have to toughen up for that. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Saw your siggy.... too bad you're not close... I'm looking for a good home for my two pygmy goats! Goats are a LOT of fun....everyone should want goats...lol

Angie

DH and I are going goatie hunting this weekend, maybe. I have the pen all set up and the house done. Last week he was a busy man. He did the goat pen and he made a silkie pen for me. He's been at the lake for the last 2 days doing plumbing work on the pump house, dang rats chewed through all the electrical and the pipes froze
sad.png

It really wasn't that hard to cull the chicks. I don't know if I can do an adult though
roll.png

When I have to cull a small chick I put the chick and a cloth saturated with ether (starter fluid) in a coffee can with a tight fitting lid. Be sure and do it outside.

Back
Top Bottom