Is there anything I can do to encourage...Chicken sex?

shandiane78

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Or maybe more specifically, how can I get my hens to accept this new cockerel?! I've had him for a couple of days, but then hens don't seem anywhere near ready to let him have his way. He's probably 4-5 months old, so I'm sure it's because he's younger, and not quite ready to dominate? He's at the bottom of the pecking order right now.

They reason I want to hurry thing along - My BO has gone broody. I feel really bad for her. She seems to be losing some weight. She's lost the feathers on her chest. She's trying so hard to hatch eggs, but none of them are fertile! I would just buy some eggs to put under her, but...I want "our" chicks. Selfish, I know. But I love my girls and want to see the product of their offspring with this rooster (a blue wheaten ameraucana). This was the whole idea behind getting the guy!

For now I'll be trying to remove her from the nest a few times a day at least. But I WANT her to be broody when there are eggs to hatch, so really...If there is some way to encourage the hens to let the rooster have at it, I'm all ears.

TIA!

Just speculation here, but how about putting him in another pen for a day or so and then introducing 1-2 hens into "his" territory? It works with rabbits so maybe it will with chickens too...

That's not bad a idea. Thanks! I need to build a pen anyway, for Buffy to raise her chicks eventually. Maybe I'll build it now. Let him get really comfy and cocky in there, then let the girls have turns "meeting" him?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Don't forget to post results, especially if it works.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom