Is there anything I can use for both getting rid of lices and at the same time deworming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoChick, Mar 19, 2012.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Hi,

I need to treat my chickens for lice and worms. Instead of using two products, is there something it would work for both? And if so, how long would I need to throw out the eggs?

thanks!!

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    What level of infestation? Lots of `worms' in the poop? If so you would do well to start out with a substance that won't cause the sudden death of all those parasites at once (will stress and possibly kill bird). I'd suggest Ivomec Eprinex cattle pour-on if infestation is very light (EPRINOMECTIN). It will kill the lice and the worms (topical application/zero withdrawl*) but, if heavily loaded with worms the rapid action of eprinomectin, in turn, `loads' the bird with a lot of rotting worms.

Please take a look at this thread (long, but much info): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-now-molting-short-days-few-or-no-eggs-anyway There are various considerations and treatments that might be more appropriate to your situation.

* withdrawal time established in ruminants, not poultry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by