Is There Anything We Can Do? 3 Week Chick With Spraddle Leg & Twisted Leg...

2GigglyGirls

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
I came to this board to see if I could help my special needs chick. I found out about spraddle leg and started treatment immediately, but she was already 6 days old. With the bandaid on, she was doing much better... quite the waddler. But she pulls it off now easily (even doubled). Now that she is getting bigger, her one spraddle leg just slides in every direction; the other leg is all twisted, pretty much all the way around. Today she has barely moved.. mainly slide / flying combo. She is smaller than her sisters... same day and 2 days younger. We have her on medicated crumble and added the Poly drops 2 days ago to the water.

This is my first hatched chick... combo of Japanese buff Bantam and Silkie. This is the egg we found with a leg hanging out of it (no zipping). I'm sorry, but I'm an emotional mess. I don't want her to suffer
254669_10200202309800419_595141794_n.jpg
(she seems content for the most part) but don't want to give up either.
408332_10200283116220529_1913274555_n.jpg

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. I had a chick like this a while back. I will say don't give up on her/him as long as it is triing. You may need to divide her off so, it doesn't have to move quick to move from other chicks and can get to feed & water easier. Less movement is better than it getting worse by over use. I used vet wrap as it sticks to itself and can give support too. I would also add plain regular yogurt and cooked egg to it's diet each day. Here is a link I found helpful. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry Good Luck.

Thank you! I'll pick the items up tomorrow and set up a separate cage next to her sisters tomorrow. I found some non-stick wrap (used for my toes) that I put on her to see if that works. Of course, as I was reading your reply, she fell asleep in my hand and started purring (kinda like a trilling noise that reminds me of a purr). I have no clue how I can ever put this chick down if it comes to that... she just wants to be held! I hate being a grown up sometimes! :(

Don't give up! Animals have incredible ability to overcome. I have seen deer running with only 3 legs that most wouldn't even notice the slightly altered gate. If you can keep up it's strength by giving extra protein and extra calcium for bone and limit it's movement - it will get better. My DH thought I was crazy cutting out little chick booties - I used light cereal box cardboard and taping them to a foot in the shape - the foot should be. But it Worked! By two weeks later it was faster than the other chicks and my DH couldn't even tell which chick had had a problem. All the attention mine got when it was really little - she's all grown up but still the first one to come for treats. And I'm sure she is SQ stock today!

She's in her terrarium, curled up with a washcloth. She looks so alone in there. I think she'll be on my desk with me for the next few weeks! Thanks for your help & support! We've only had chickens for 2 years, but they have become our babies, just like the cats and dog.

I understand. The little ones I have incubated and needed any kind of special care have become pets for me too.
As for your little special needs one - She shouldn't be alone that long but for now, you can put a small stuffed animal in with her to help. In a few days she might be ready and benefit from having another like sized chick in with her. It will then encourage her to move to walk which will help her strengthen her legs and feet. She will then have a buddy that can go on short visits the other chicks in a week or so. If you do supervised visits it will make the transition easier when she can hold her own - to be back in with the bigger group in a few weeks. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom