Is there anything wrong with my duckling..wheezing?!

I filled up a dish big enough for them to stick their heads in and they loved it! I think the water dispenser is wrong. Thank you so much. First time **** owners so I'm sure I'll have lots more questions
1f601.png

I filled up a dish big enough for them to stick their heads in and they loved it! I think the water dispenser is wrong. Thank you so much. First time **** owners so I'm sure I'll have lots more questions
1f601.png

Good i hope it helps! And your welcome. If you have any other questions i will do my best to help:)

My ducklings are almost three weeks. They are in our garage with a heat lamp. One sounds like it has asthma. Should I be concerned

It is time to be concerned. Ducklings can get breathing problems from catching a chill, not being able to clean their heads, mold, and sometimes viral infections. Most likely it is one of those first three.

If you can get to a vet, that is best.

Do you have a thermometer in the brooder so you know the temperature? Is it protected from drafts? What kind of bedding, how thick? Are they on concrete or wood? Or wire? What is their feed? Do they have water deep enough to wash their heads in? Do they get bath time (no soap, just water)=

@Amiga I am following this post because I too have a 2 week old Pekin Duckling who is wheezing. The other 5 seem fine. I noticed only because I pick each one up to nuzzle and noticed the difference in breathing tonight. She is otherwise eating and drinking and running around. She is also the fastest growing and or naturally larger than the other 2 Pekins I have. Overall quite healthy. They have two large cool whip container with a third of the top cut out so they can dunk their whole head in. They all got a warm bath today (no soap) to clean up in after the melon I swear they must have rolled in. A big hit. I keep the food and water on newspaper that I layer throughout the day and change completely in the am/pm. Otherwise their bedding is towels, fleece blankets and a medium size stuffed horse they climb up on where they can get closer to the heat lamp if needed.

I have not noticed coughing or sneezing yet. Do you know of any home remedies I can try? I am an hour out from a feed store and cannot get there until Tuesday. Also would you recommend any other med items good to keep on hand? Lastly could this be contagious for the other ducklings?

Without being sure of the cause, we cannot say it is not contagious,

You coukd put a quarter teaspoon of apple cieer vinegar per quart of drinking water. It is often used as a tonic.

Is it wheezing or a nose whistle? Elfie used to get nose whistles.

I had added the ACVin last night. I checked her this morning and she seems to be clear. Maybe she had something stuck in her beak??? Curious, what is the earliest a duckling peep will change to a quack? And, does it transition like it does teenage boys?
lol.png
I was wondering if the somewhat raspy sound I hear from one of them could be a voice change.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have seen and learned a lot from many of your posts. It is appreciated.

I had added the ACVin last night.  I checked her this morning and she seems to be clear.  Maybe she had something stuck in her beak???  Curious, what is the earliest a duckling peep will change to a quack?  And, does it transition like it does teenage boys? :lol:    I was wondering if the somewhat raspy sound I hear from one of them could be a voice change.

Thank you for responding so quickly.  I have seen and learned a lot from many of your posts.  It is appreciated.

A few of My runners this time started at about 1 week old with a voice change. Just every now and then. But enough for it to be noticable. One of my khakis started about 2 1/2 weeks- and one not till around 4 weeks .

There is an important balance for providing head washing. One is, of course, they need to be able to wash their little heads.

The other is that ducklings can get themselves into ridiculous, unanticipated trouble!

Check out the first post here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings
Hey .. someone please help..my duckling is very sick .not able to walk... Looking weak.. dont know howw it happened ..i just left her alone in a room while she sleeping. She had food and water... After 4 hour i checked i got her sick .. plz help.me

Back
Top Bottom