Is there anything your are NOT supposed to feed to your chickens?

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post I am learning how to do this so be patient. I don't have any chickens as yet I want to learn what not to do before I get them also I want a safe place to keep them. I live in the country although this is not considered a wild area we do have coyotes, and other small critters that would love a tasty bite or two. We have had a couple of mountain lions pass through here which is scary as I have mini horses, llamas and riding horses and 6 goats. I keep everyone close to the house as well as a supply of firecrackers just in case. I am leaning towards Orpingtons because they are suppose to be easy to handle and don't fly. I was thinking of chicks but now I am thinking older ones would be better then raise my own babies.

I made this post once before but I am not sure if it was received by anyone. I just wanted to thank you for the information. I haven't gotten any chickens yet I have decided to go with older Orps. that I will be getting from a hatchery in Idaho I want to get 3-4 hens and a rooster to let them hatch out the babies. They will fenced in my weed patch that has a lot of foxtails or cheat grass in it will this hurt the chickens?

Hi Chrispharris

I have a single foxglove plant that my chickens "tasted" and didn't like. It didn't seem to hurt them. I did a lot of online research after seeing that foxglove are toxic. Well it didn't bother me to transplant the single plant, and it didn't bother my girls.

Same idea for the weeds that I let them eat. They love dandelions but hate other things. Too bad, I was looking forward to a weed free back yard.
Oh well....
S

Back
Top Bottom