Is there hope for my chick? Please help!

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
I had a chick hatch this morning that seemed to take longer than the others to fully hatch. The poor thing has a red blood gelantic mass that seems to be atttched and drags when the chick tries to walk. The toes are all curled up and it seems to have a hard time moving around. The other chicks which hatched yesterday are climbing all over it and are pecking at it.

What should I do? Should I move the older chicks to the brooder now? Cull the chick? It seems smaller and weaker than the other ones. I still have a bunch of eggs in the hatcher that have not done anything yet. Day 21 is tomorrow.

Please help!

thanks
Chris

I literally hatched a chic 3 days ago with the same problem. Mine could not open its eyes though so I culled it.

Could it be the yolk sack that didn't absorb correctly? As far as the other chicks as long as they are good and dry go ahead and move them to the brooder. Sometimes if the yolk sack doesn't absorb all the way it still can in the bator. Pics would help to try and figure out whats going on. Good luck.

Move your chicks from the injured chick. It could be the yolk sac, keep it in the incubator for at least 24 hours before you decide to cull it. Pics will help too if you can get them on here.

Quote:
I always let nature deal with the problem.. For example:
I had one chick pipping but momma had left it working with her 5 other babies.

I put up a heat lamp and laid the egg at edge of the heat. Couple hours later I checked on it and seen it was drying out.

I dunked it in water and pulled some shell off of it, which caused a little blood. Again after another hour I checked on it again.

Long story to short.. Next day, I finally removed all the shell and membrane, laid chick near heat with the little sac problem.. By next day it was running around with momma..

So let the growing process work, even if you might have to assist in certain situations.

Nature works wonders..

Well the chick seems healthy. He seems to be trying to walk around but has severely curved feet. He is alert and chirping up a storm. The thing hanging seemed to be a yolk sac but there is what I can only describe as a intestine looking appendage with a red gel mass on it still attached to the chicks body. It has not been in there for 24 hrs yet so I will wait and see. I will try and post some pictures soon. I am hoping I don't have to cull him!

thanks
Chris

The red intestine thing could be just that, I had one like that and had to cull. Maybe someone else had one that had it go back in, but sadly I do not think so. If it was just the yolk he would have a chance, but not with the intestines hanging out.
sad.png
I'm sorry

Back
Top Bottom