is there some sort of hat for a polish chicken?

maybejoey

got chickenidous?
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
HairyMan (towns nickname)
Is there a hat that you put over a polishes head to protect its head feathers? If anyone has one i would love to buy one, either tell me where i could find one or to sell me one yourself. Thankyou in advance.
smile.png

I have a bald Polish rooster and have tried about every thing with him, without much luck. Here are some ideas to try. I did actually crochet him a little hat but he wouldn't keep it on. I have duct taped his head, sticking the tape to the feathers he has left covering his head like hat. I used superglue and glued some shed feathers to his bald spot. I blue koted his pink bald spot. The super glue and feathers have worked the best. It still doesn't prevent the plucking but seems to last a few days. I would like to just catch the one causing the problems and put a pinless peeper on her. Good Luck, if you find something that works I'd love to hear it.

I've seen hair nets for polish and silkies before, they used them on show birds with massive poofs on their heads to keep it clean/clear of their eyes after they've been washed before a show. They king of look like the bun-size hair nets they make for people.

I've also heard of people 'trying it up' with electrical tape because it isn't too sticky but holds, apparently you can only leave it like this for a few weeks though.

I've been thinking on this a bit.... then I smelled a something burning... so I stopped.
tongue.png

I wonder if one were to take a sock, cut so it's open at both ends. Sew a small tube, trim the seam line to about 1/8 inch, and put it over the chickens head and down his neck, leaving a hoodie over his head just so he can barely see out. Maybe one end of the tube should be closed and cut a smaller opening so that the beak and nostrils are out and the chicken can see enough to get around. (Polish don't see so well anyway. i would try to use a color of sock that matches the color of the chicken. Now I've gotta try this myself.

Last edited:
If this is an issue, why on earth wouldn't you separate it from the others? I understand something to protect the head might be more desirable but I wouldn't leave one to be treated that way.

Back
Top Bottom