Is there something longer-lasting than BluKote?

they'reHISchickens

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Reading
Our Black Orp Princess is recovering from a bad (dog) attack two weeks that left her completely tailless. We have been coating faithfully with BluKote to prevent picking. Now it seems she is healing so fast that she needs daily spraying. She hates it and KNOWS it's coming:) Is there anything more permanent we can use as her feathers grow out?? BluKote appears to wear off daily, but I am hoping it's just regeneration of skin that is leaving a pink color to pick at.

Longer lasting than Blukote? That's a tall order. I don't know of anything that lasts longer. I swear I still occasionally find spots of it around my basement from when I had a wounded chicken down there and used cans and cans of Blukote last year.

Maybe it's just because she's healing so quickly - and from such a large wound. If you have the spray, you might be able to try getting her from a distance. I can't imagine what would last longer than blue kote. It stays a long time, especially on their feathers. I had purple striped chickens for months!

I have a brahma hen that the roo was taking her feathers off at the shoulders[ do chickens have shoulders?] anyway it's been about 2 months and she's still purple on her wings. And my hands stay purple for a long time too.

I had a chicken that had the top of it's head scalped (long story), I used blue coat. It lasted for a whole month. It stayed on my hand for a good week (with MANY washings in between). If the blue coat is not staying on your chicken- something is picking it off I am thinking. Is she confined by herself, or with other birds?

Back
Top Bottom