Is there something wrong with my duckling??

Quackers912

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2023
Hi all! We got some birds from Metzer farms a few weeks ago, they're just over 4 weeks old. One of our Saxony ducks is almost half the size of the others and acts kind of weird. A lot of times she just stands there not doing anything. She doesn't go in their pool by herself and if we put her in there she just stands there and we have to take her out. The other birds will go across the yard and she stays standing by their food/where they previously were. She just doesn't move as much as the others. They're outside during the day and she doesn't forage or preen herself when we are there like the others do. The first picture is a size comparison between her and one of the other saxony ducks. The second is an example of her being off by herself (she's rather close to the others in this picture- sometimes the others are across the yard). I wouldn't be concerned if she was just smaller than the others, but she exhibits other concerning behavior. We've only noticed it the past week or so after we started putting them outside more. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• 20230725_180041.jpg
    20230725_180041.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230725_185306.jpg
    20230725_185306.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 14
I'd get her started on Poultry cell and of course some liquid B Complex. It won't hurt her and hopefully will help. Hows her appetite?
We do see her eat and drink. And we've seen her poop so we ruled out that as an issue. She just seems a bit slow in the head if that makes sense? Where do you buy poultry cell and liquid b complex?

TSC carries both the liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally 1 ml over a small amt of treat or feed just for her. The Poultry cell has directions on the bottle. This could be nutritional some seem to have a hard time getting all the nutrients they need out of their feed, so we help them with supplements.
What are you feeding them and have they had any niacin supplements since tiny?

TSC carries both the liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally 1 ml over a small amt of treat or feed just for her. The Poultry cell has directions on the bottle. This could be nutritional some seem to have a hard time getting all the nutrients they need out of their feed, so we help them with supplements.
What are you feeding them and have they had any niacin supplements since tiny?
Thanks we were able to pick up some supplements today. I believe they're eating Purina 19% protein with nutritional yeast added.

Update: I don't think Peanut is getting much better. She's been consistently at around 470 grams the past week and hasn't gained anything. We kept her separate with her own special food and water and today she only ate 4 grams of food. She also has started doing this thing where she puts her head down and shakes it while walking backwards. The other ducks the same age are all growing and seem to be thriving. Is there hope for Peanut? We don't want her to be suffering while we wait for her to get better. Any advice on what to do?

Back
Top Bottom