Is there something wrong with my ducks?

Caroline14

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Hi,I have 2 khaki campbell hens,About a week ago they stopped laying eggs and I don't know why.Then a couple days ago they started loosing A LOT of feathers!!!,and then they started having horrible green diarrhea that's all over their pen.
sad.png
I don't know what to do.I'm really worried about them.
sad.png
Has anybody else experienced anything like this or knows what might be wrong?Any answer is appreciated!!!

How old are these ducks?
What is their current diet?
Where on the body are feathers being lost?
Have you checked them for external and internal parasites and/or treated for either of those recently?
What, if any, treatments have you given them either before or in response to the symptoms you noticed?

Hi,Thanks for replying so quickly!!!They are a little over a year old.I've been feeding them Natures Best Organic Layer Pellets.They have been loosing feathers everywhere.I've been finding wing feathers,tail feathers,and lots of fluff!!! I haven't checked for parasites nor treated for any,and I never gave them any kind of treatment before.

Sounds to me like they are molting (which would explain them stopping laying), and they have also perhaps gotten into something that's upsetting their stomaches, or, they are eating something green that is high in protein.

I would take a fecal sample to a local vet and have it checked.

Could they have gotten into something? Plant food? Putrid water?

Botulism can cause feather loss, too, I believe. There is a post in the stickies on flushes and a charcoal slurry to treat botulism. Are they acting otherwise okay, or do they walk around acting drunk?

Last edited:
Good info. I have a 5 week old Pekin and Rouen females. The rouenis feathering out well but the Pekin has lost her feathers to the skin on her breast and cheeks. Her tail feathers are slowly coming in. She is eating well and seems happy. Tis happened almost overnight. Any ideas.

Good info. I also have problems. I have a Pekin and Rouen female that are about 5 weeks. The Rouen has feathered out well but Gabby, the Pekin, has lost all of her breast feathers to the skin and her cheeks are dark as well. Could this be regular feathering? I change the water twice a day because they are messy and the chicks won't drink the water with food in it. Please advise.

I can't comment on the poop change, unless they're allowed to freel range. There's stuff growing this time of year that maybe their digestive system isn't yet used to? My flock just started to forage in the stream again now that it's not frozen and their poo has changed from green and brown to black and more solid than I'm used to.

The feather loss sounds like molting. When did they last molt? The loose stool may be related. Those gals are putting a lot of energy into producing new feathers. If its prolonged though then I would start to worry.

Back
Top Bottom