Is there something wrong with the runt?

Sorry emj, didn't mean to high jack your thread, just hoping things are going better for you and you found some things to help etc. I'm hoping for the same as I am also un-experienced and new with this

Well, we tried doing a hard-boiled egg, but the chicks completely ignored it. I'm not sure whether to be worried or not. This chick (I think it's Ameracauna) is now practically half the size of the other three. She drinks often, so we just added some electrolyte powder to the water. But we rarely see her eat. I guess we just wait and see? She doesn't seem terribly lethargic - just a clear loner apart from the others. Maybe a bantam?

Well, we tried doing a hard-boiled egg, but the chicks completely ignored it. I'm not sure whether to be worried or not. This chick (I think it's Ameracauna) is now practically half the size of the other three. She drinks often, so we just added some electrolyte powder to the water. But we rarely see her eat. I guess we just wait and see? She doesn't seem terribly lethargic - just a clear loner apart from the others. Maybe a bantam?

How is the runt doing ???

We had two little ones last year. We put them in a separate small brooder so they could eat/drink all they want without the bullying. After a week or so, they were stronger and went back with the others. This year we had a little one we thought would die (actually the feed store gave her to us for free because she looked like she would die.) Her eyes were bothering her... maybe she was pecked? It was like once she closed them, she forgot that she could open them. She couldn't see to eat or drink. After a couple days feeding her water by dropper and opening her eyes for her she started opening her eyes herself and eating and drinking fine. It definitely took her longer that the others each step of the way. Not the brightest bulb on the tree. But now, at four weeks, she's caught up and doing fine. We call her Angel for surviving and she ended up all white.

We had two little ones last year. We put them in a separate small brooder so they could eat/drink all they want without the bullying. After a week or so, they were stronger and went back with the others. This year we had a little one we thought would die (actually the feed store gave her to us for free because she looked like she would die.) Her eyes were bothering her... maybe she was pecked? It was like once she closed them, she forgot that she could open them. She couldn't see to eat or drink. After a couple days feeding her water by dropper and opening her eyes for her she started opening her eyes herself and eating and drinking fine. It definitely took her longer that the others each step of the way. Not the brightest bulb on the tree. But now, at four weeks, she's caught up and doing fine. We call her Angel for surviving and she ended up all white.

goodpost.gif

I have one smaller chick too. We named her Teensie.
I'm worried about her.
She seems healthy enough but she's not as agressive on the feeding as the others.
Some of the other chicks are twice as big now.
Like I said, Teensie seems healthy, she's just smaller than the others.
They are three weeks old today.

So sorry. Perhaps you could take Teensie out separately a few times a day so she can eat and drink all she wants without getting pushed out of the way? Or even not approaching. One of our two little ones last year still won't push her way in. Not even for yogurt!

Back
Top Bottom