Is there still hope?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoCkYone88, Nov 14, 2011.

1. CoCkYone88

CoCkYone88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Ok so I set 52 cotunix eggs on the 30th put them on lock down Saturday at midnight. Here's where the problem comes into play, I get up for work this mornin and on the the way out the door remind my wife not to turn the eggs well I get home from work and to my suprise she had turned them thinking I had said to. The question is what the chances that any will still hatch?
    Thanks in advance to any and all that reply.

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    My guess is that there's no worries. The eggs get jostled during hatching anyway from chicks that hatch early and the brief decrease in humidity won't make much difference at this stage.

It's still early. I would worry about if the eggs were already pipped and zipping and worry about "shrink wrapping", but that's not really the case.

Good luck on your hatch!

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    If you look at it this way, the early bird who hatches immediately sets to playing football with the rest of the eggs. The football game just keeps increasing as more chicks hatch out. They should be fine. I've had them hatch while still sitting in the turner.

4. CoCkYone88

Jul 25, 2011
    Good deal. I was prayin. I guess the eggs wanted to let me know as well because I just went to check for pips and there was 2 eggs rockin back an forth. I guess they are tryin to reposition since their turnover.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't worry about it. I often forget to take mine off the turner and they hatch out fine.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Her turning the eggs should have no impact on their hatchability.

7. CoCkYone88

Jul 25, 2011
    Thank you all. Just finished gettin the brooder ready. Now if I can just somehow let them know that maybe they would hurry up and come on out.[​IMG]

8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I can tell you my duck rolled her eggs, even after they started making noise and she had no issues related to that. My understanding is lockdown is more for stability of humidity and temp.

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Patience is a virtue. They tend to hatch on their own schedule. Not the feed monster's!

No problem with an extra day's turning....lock down and wait the whole 21 days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by