is there such a thing as a coop raising party?

I think if you invited people on the forum, you'd have a massive turn out. We all think it's great fun to build coops for chickens. However.... I can guarantee I'd be the only one to turn up at my coop party, were I to throw one 'offline'. You have to pay people for their time here. I guess it's all about having the right sort of friends!

I tried to offer my services for many things in return, not just get them here for nothing. I may have been over exaggerating for effect.
wink.png

My friends are great, but I am sort of the "Mom" figure for a lot of them (actually they all call me "The Fairy Godmother of Bluegrass") - I pick them up at the airport, I let them record my songs, play on records, cook them meals, drive them to grocery stores, watch their dogs while they are off on tour...

I tried - when building my coop - to have one friend help me in exchange for me helping him paint his apartment, he did not come, I went to his house painting party last Weds. I was the only one there.

Another friend I asked if he would help in exchange for me teaching him to brew beer, he did not come, I went to his house 3 weeks ago and helped him make a barrel of porter.

The other friend I asked if he wanted to come help - and also did not show up - stayed here at my house for 2 months while he looked for a place in town...

I could go on, but I think you get the point. I have no problem being the one who gives. They give back to me other ways... Well, not really, but they are fun anyhow.

I also was offering a huge meal (which none of them have ever refused), and a good time after the day was over. (Bonfire and playing music until 3 a.m. Many people showed up for the meal, music & bonfire.)
Did I mention this was a coop I built from a kit? I mostly just wanted company and for someone to hold the parts up while I screwed them together.

Last edited:
I would love that and have a few friends that I know would show up, problem is DH. He thinks he should do it but it doesnt get done and then he does it his way which isnt the right way if you know what I mean.

I had a coop raising party the first day I started on my coop. Three friends and I barely got the sill plate done and the trenching dug. I was too overwhelmed keeping them fed and happy to try and think about how to put the thing together, let alone cut/drill/delegate/problem solve. Later after they left I worked I was able to concentrate and work it all out ,and I realized that except for some heavy lifting, I could build it myself. I worked like gangbusters for three weekends and today the coop is almost done. I'm going to have my dear friends all back over for a coop warming before I move the girls in - beer and pizza as a way to say "Thank you" for them getting me started, and for the long-term loan of tools that got the job done.

m.kitchengirl :

I tried to offer my services for many things in return, not just get them here for nothing.

hugs.gif
That's what I meant about paying people for their time. You shound like a very generous person. It'd be nice if people could appreciate that. I bet fi you stopped being so giving, they'd complain. They've probably gotten used to being able to ask for to do everything!
smack.gif
I read an article in an old Redbook magazine (before sending it to a friend who's just had a stroke as a bit of light reading) about how to say no. I think you should try to find it. There was even a diagram. Found it:

Easy Instructions!
Keep expression neutral. Turn head left. Turn head right. Repeat as necessary.

Article: http://www.redbookmag.com/673468

Last edited:
m.kitchengirl... There is also a children's book... which I suspect may have been written with you in mind.."The Little Red Hen"???? I would buy each of your friends a copy the Christmas. you sound like such a sweet, giving person that isn't appreciated as much as she should be. I am sure your friends dont intent to be meanies.... they probably just don't know better.

I think the coop raising sounds like a great idea! I am lucky to have a very large, helpful extended family, and we help each other out whenever needed. You just have to mention work day and if they are able, they come with hammers and saws ready! A few of the girls stay in and cook, and many even bring a dish to pass for the picnic. A few years ago, My uncles and cousins tore my entire roof off my one story house, built walls for a 2nd story, put up new rafters for the new roof, and framed the walls for my new upstairs in one day and felt bad enough that the roof wasn't on that some of them came back the next day to finish! We were so grateful for the help. It saved us several thousand dollars, I am sure.

Yup, I'm a push over. I'll practice with that diagram, though. Looks like that exercise could work wonders for my strengthening my spine!
big_smile.png

I love the coop raising idea, but I am big into community building opportunities, and I just love to DO things. More fun than the alternatives.

Ha! I am SO the little red hen. I never ask for help. I can ALWAYS do it all myself. I read that book thousands of times as a child. I must have somehow taken the message wrong.
D.gif

In reality, managing a large group of friends to do what you want the way you want is a task much larger than building the coop yourself.
barnie.gif

The only way you will get it done YOUR WAY is to do it yourself.
thumbsup.gif

Perhaps what you really need are just some helping hands. Forget asking friends to the monumental task of building a coop. Instead, get a committment from one friend at a time to 'hold some stuff on the coop while I tack it in place.'

Perhaps this will work: "Hey, what are you doing Saturday? Great, how about I pick you up at 2 pm, we grab some KFC and beer, and you can hand me tools while I fight with this coop." IN this way, you won't be left waiting and wondering. Either you make the capture, or you don't. You control the arrival and departure of your prey.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom