is there such a thing as too much window in a coop?

joustinghill

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
We're working on the design for our second coop (our first being a jury-rigged dog kennel) and we are planning to use recycled materials as much as possible.

We're building a playhouse style coop, with the total size being 6' wide, 6' high and 10' long. The henhouse itself is 6' wide, 3.5' high and 4' long.

I have two old tilt-out windows left over from my barn renovations that are 28" high by 34" wide. If I use them in the henhouse, that makes one short (4x3.5) wall pretty much all window, and one long (6x3.5) wall nearly half window.

Is this too much glass in this size coop?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Trish

i dont know..but i would think it would be good for extended laying times..in the winter..but i'm not sure..someone else will chime in and help ya..
smile.png
.Wendy

I think it would depend partly on where you live. I Alaska that would probably be too much glass, in Georgia, I would so no. Where I live it could be a toss up. The need to heat your coop in winter or not, depending on your coldest temps (and fully feathered birds can easily get down into the teens with protection and be perfectly fine), is going to determine whether or not that will work.

On the other hand, if you live somewhere like Georgia or Florida, that much window is very welcome to add ventilation during hot summer days. Here in Utah too, actually, but I'll be adding heat for part of the winter to keep the coop above zero if we have really nasty weather again this year.

Quote:
Southern New Hampshire. It can get below zero for a few days in January, but usually stays between freezing and zero for the winter.

I'm in NE Ohio and have a window wall of 3 glass windows 28x28"each facing south. I have 1 window on the west side, too. I intend to solar heat my coop in winter with the windows and close up shutters over the windows at night to keep the heat in. I have lots of ventilation up high in the eves so I hope it balances out. At least they can sunbath on sunny days in winter. If it gets too cold I will supplement with a heat lamp over the water as I've been advised to do by the old timers around here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom