Is there such a thing as wild chickens??

the green jungle fowl is wild. supposedly saipon jungle fowl were wild. the wild birds in south america that led to the araucana were rampuni and quechua

Quote:
Aside from mutliple wild jungle fowl species (and their subspecies) of southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent, of which two or more are progenitors of the modern domestic, many feral populations of domestic pupolations do exist. The population that caught my eye exist on the Island of Kuai (Hawaii). They were everywhere in social groups that are likely similar to those of red jungle fowl. They roost in trees sometimes miles from any home and all food consumed must be acquired by scratch and seek. Predator pressure is very light. Hawk owls may take some chicks but seems like that would be risky. Birds of that population are extremely variable as a function of the many breeds that went into founding the population. They can not fly very well, I put them to test when no body was looking.

Semi-feral populations of game (fighting) chickens also existed where I grew up in southern Indiana and probably more so further south. They were still associated with agricultural areas and probably benefited from heavy hunting of foxes, coons and the like. Such hunting is greatly reduced and may be part of reason why such semi-feral populations no longer persist where I remember them.

I must add that chickens as we know them do not repressent a distinct species. They are derived in large part from red jungle fowl with which they can and do freely interbreed with. The domestic chicken also likely has more one or more of the other jungel fowls (grey and green) in its background. Domestic chickens to me at this time repressent a composit population that would have a difficult time persisting for any length of time in wild environment without human intervention, especially if a wild jungle fowl is present, as latter would out compete it.

Last edited:
There is a town here called Oviedo that has dozens of chickens that live on their own.

They hang around a popeyes chicken of all places...
irony.jpg

I drove by the other day on my way to a jobsite and I saw several beautiful roosters with feathered feet.

My daughter who just turned 6 always asks if we can stop and pick some up... Can you imagine me letting her chase one down with all the passer bys watching?

Last edited:
Two interesting youtube videos I found of feral chickens on the Hawian island of Kauai. More can be found when viewing these. The birds appear to be of mostly game origin based on overall appearance.

Behavior not typical of semi-feral games we kept on past. Social groups shown appear too fluid (mixing more than I remember).

I recall a cock would have a hen or two with juveniles and possibly a stag or two always shadowing group. Such groups, largely a function of cocks crowing, would avoid each other which is not consistent with videos where feed is applied by visiting public.

The origins of our domestic chickens did begin in India. Darwin speculated that our chickens began with Red Jungle Fowl, but recent genetic evidence points to the Grey Jungle Fowl.

I have Grey jungle fowl and yes they can fly. They fly like a pheasant, I learned this the hard way. They are a wild chicken and are very skittish as most people describe them. I don’t know much about game fowl, but guessing from how aggressive my jungle fowl are toward my domestic chickens, I would venture to guess that the jungle fowl have been bread with domestic chickens for their wild/ aggressive tendencies.

Here's a prairie chicken:

PrairieChicken1_l.jpg

They have air sacs on the sides of their face/neck that they can inflate and use to attract a mate. Their body shape/size and the air sacs (which sort of look like wattles) make the bird look like a chicken, but they're not.

Here's a Feathersite page about Red Junglefowl. Their scientific name is Gallus gallus (the domestic chicken's scientific name is Gallus domesticus). Red Junglefowl look a lot like modern domestic chickens as far as physical features.

There is also a bird called the Green Junglefowl. It has a multicolored "comb" and one multicolored wattle. They look really cool, but not very much like a chicken.

_mg_7991%20green%20junglefowl_std.jpg

Feathersite page about Green Junglefowl here.

Back
Top Bottom