Is there such thing as a NON-GMO bird

Briani

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
Ok so next year I'm wanting to get started raising meat birds. But I don't want a GMO bird that is going to make me sick. I know food has a lot to do with it and water. I'm working on that. But my question is what is a good heirloom chicken I can raise for meat. I'm sick of eating the walmart stuff. And while I'm on the subject of Non-GMO, what is a great Non-GMO egg layer. Right now I have the red stars and from what I can tell they are all GMO bird. and like I said I want to get back to a heirloom style ( if that is even such a thing ). Thanks for the input...

GMO chicken is selective breeding which is all chickens, maybe a red jungle foul if you want natural with no human interferance? But they wont lay well or give you much meat.. and the only ones available are pretty much all through hatcheries which have selected their breeders so therefore theyd be GMO as well lol

GMO (genetically modified organism) is used to refer to a plant or animal modified by gene splicing. As such, I don't think there are any chicken breeds in that group. Of course, chicken breeds have been developed by selective breeding. That includes heirloom breeds. I think, what you may really want, is organic? If you want to avoid GMOs you will want organic food as most corn grown in the US is genetically modified.

Ok so next year I'm wanting to get started raising meat birds. But I don't want a GMO bird that is going to make me sick. I know food has a lot to do with it and water. I'm working on that. But my question is what is a good heirloom chicken I can raise for meat. I'm sick of eating the walmart stuff. And while I'm on the subject of Non-GMO, what is a great Non-GMO egg layer. Right now I have the red stars and from what I can tell they are all GMO bird. and like I said I want to get back to a heirloom style ( if that is even such a thing ). Thanks for the input...
GMO = A genetically modified organism (GMO) is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques (i.e., a genetically engineered organism).

As far as I know, no chicken breeds are GMO. Just because normal genetic methods such as choosing which characteristics to breed for have been used in making the CornishX meat birds and the production layers such as White Leghorns or your Red Stars, it does not make them GMO.

There are lots of different kinds of heritage chickens to choose from but even those are being selectively bred to meet the breed SOPs.

I doubt unless it's a supermarket chicken if there is such an animal as a gmo chicken, and I doubt if they are because of a 21 day hatch time I doubt if there is much if any need of a lab altered chicken. $$$$$$ in a lab to try when less $$$$ to do it for a little more investment in time does not make any sense.

You might be confusing the market birds with GMO because they are fed GMO food and labeled as such... No chickens are GMO, they are just selectively bred. If you want organic birds then buy any chicken breed and feed them organic feed if you are really worried. What do you think makes a chicken, or other animal, a GMO btw? Just because they have high egg production or meat production does not mean they have been GMO. Genetically modifying is mainly done with plants, not much work has been done with animals yet.

Well my thoughts are (and I'm no scientist) a broiler chicken isn't a normal chicken. In about 8 weeks they are almost too big to walk. So in 5-6 months how could they lay a egg to hatch? My thoughts are that is a GMO bird? I don't know just my thoughts? And I've been wrong before. I would just like to get back to something close to what God made.

If you just want a good heirloom breed go with something from the hatchery quality for good egg layers and dual purpose for meat. Dominiques, new hampshires, barred rocks, orpingtons, australorps, many to pick through. cacklehatchery.com has some good stock
Thank you. Are Road Island Reds a old breed chicken?

Back
Top Bottom