Is there such thing as a quiet rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GA_Gypsy, May 21, 2011.

1. GA_Gypsy

GA_Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    N. Georgia
    We have 6 hens that are showing signs that they would like a rooster. We borrowed a Leghorn once but sent him back the next day after he started making noice at 3am and didn't stop. I thought the neighbors were gonna call the cops on us! We currently have RIR, Red Sex Link, and Brahmas. Thanks!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Have not heard of one yet. Some are louder then others.

3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Blue Andalusian Rooster that is fairly quiet. He crows early in the mornings, maybe around 6 or so, and it's very rare for me to hear anything else out of him the rest of the day. Now my other rooster crows ALL day long.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No.

(And if you think he's quiet, he is only being quiet until you sell the loud roo next to him.) [​IMG]

edited to add: Julie75 I typed this before I read your post!

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:Doing the "egg squat" for you and "showing signs that they would like a rooster" are not necessarily the same thing. Hens are perfectly fine without a rooster. Unless you want your own fertile eggs, you do not need a rooster.

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
  7. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ooh how well I know, that's why that crazy rooster is still around, lol. The Andalusian is too pretty to get rid of.

8. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    The only time the words "quiet" and "rooster" can be used together is when said rooster also happens to be "dead."

9. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    We have had roosters crowing from Dawn to Dawn the next day and our neighbor down the street hers are the same way and i really hate waking up at 4AM to the sound of that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by