1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there truth to the comb turning red before laying?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by porkchop48, Oct 12, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I read on this forum some where that when a chicken gets old enough to lay it's comb starts getting redder.

The reason I ask is my dark brahams are about 5 - 6 months old ( or so I was told). They started out with really light combs and over the last week or so a couple of them have started turning more reddish.

They seem to be such big birds I would have guessed they were older.

2. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    All of mine so far have had their comb become larger and very red in the 2 or 3 weeks before starting to lay, so you should be getting some eggs soon!

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Yes, they will get redder. My Brahmas whole faces get redder - and Brahamas (even my bantams) are really big chickens. My three (Millie, Tillie and Lily) are buffs and I think they are beautiful - and comical...when they run/waddle across the yard...but they do lay some nice light brown eggs.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yes, a nice red comb indicates a pullet is getting ready to lay. A red comb is also a sign your hens are healthy. Let us know when you get your first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by