Is this “splayed leg”? Newly hatched bantam mix can’t stand

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Hi all! Very strange leg positioning on this Silkie/Cochin cross. It did just hatch today, so I’m not sure if I should be worried or not. The chick seems unable to stand, it scooches forward dragging its butt with its feet still forward like that. I tried to get a hobble on, but I wasn’t sure about it and took it off. Should I try it again or leave it alone? I know I sound stupid but I’ve never had this problem before.

Attachments

• 35F77202-06D0-4B5E-9AA5-DFF9BE285F63.jpeg
    35F77202-06D0-4B5E-9AA5-DFF9BE285F63.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 7
Ok, I’ve got the hobble back on. The chick still doesn’t seem able to lift its butt off the ground.
Poor baby. That looks better though. Good job! Keep food and water close but keep a close eye on it as it could drown in the water. I would give the little one some vitamin drops also in case of deficiencies. It will take time to get used to the hobbles. Be sure to pick little one up and exercise it gently.

The chick is doing much better now. Its feet are more firmly under its body and it is walking around, successfully eating and drinking without mishaps. Thank you for your assistance, @RainbowHen ❤ The hens were trying to hide the chicks from me, and I think this little one got smooshed against the wall.

Glad to hear that your chick is doing better walking with the splay leg hobble on now. Can you give some vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamin B2,) which is in a few chick vitamins, and is in human super B complex, found in most pharmacies. I would give 1/4 tablet crushed daily.

Cleaning and disinfecting the wound twice a day, and applying antibiotic ointment would be good. I am not familiar with quail, but the back of the head is a common place for other birds to attack. The chick may need to be separated for some rime, so the others won’t peck the wound. I would also try to make your coop mouseproof. Usually 1/2 wire is good, but maybe you need to try some 1/4 for the floor or place a solid floor in there. There is a quail forum that you can also post on here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/
I think you have the wrong thread 😉

Back
Top Bottom