Is this a baby chicken?

from what I hear hens usually can hold on to sperm for around 2 weeks (sometime but rarely longer) but an egg needs proper temperature and humidity to hatch so without the mom sitting on it, its unlikely to hatch on its own.
Hmm interesting! 🤔 thanks for the info. I posted something to my neighborhood on the Nextdoor app, hopefully we will figure out where the chick came from, since it seems kind of impossible that it was from one of our past hens.

Thank you for the advice! I will try offering food and water in his/her box. We started out with hand feeding because I wasn’t sure if it was a bird or a chicken 😅 it seemed to be working, however very demanding!
Can I ask, how do I use heat on a schedule like you suggested?
Thanks again!
If you use a heat plate for heat or heating pad aka mama heating pad", there is no light. So they get used to natural schedules from the start :)

It definitely needs heat and food!!!! I assume you know how to care for it, having had hens before? Like, food/water setup? And temp?
Where are you? Can someone with chicks take it in?

If you use a heat plate for heat or heating pad aka mama heating pad", there is no light. So they get used to natural schedules from the start :)
It definitely needs heat and food!!!! I assume you know how to care for it, having had hens before? Like, food/water setup? And temp?
Where are you? Can someone with chicks take it in?
Hi,
Yes, one upon a time, we started out with chicks. They were a bit older, but pretty much same set up. We’ve got the heating pad and food and water in a bigger box now.

Hi,
Yes, one upon a time, we started out with chicks. They were a bit older, but pretty much same set up. We’ve got the heating pad and food and water in a bigger box now.
Okay. Make sure it can cool down if it needs to- it’s hard to tell how hot a heating pad is.
It sounds like you’re doing well! What do you plan to do with it?

If you were anywhere near me I’d offer to take it. Poor chickie. I doubt it’s from one of your hen’s eggs, but it’s not as crazy as it sounds. I heard a story about a guy who tossed some eggs in his compost pile, and three weeks later had baby chicks all over, because the compost produced its own heat.

Back
Top Bottom