Is this a bad brooder?

Revelle

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
Silvis
My dad has TONS of cages from when he bred canaries and doves, that are super huge, compared to the size of them. Would using one be a bad idea as a brooder, because of the nature of a cage? Right now the bator has 5 sizzles and 2 SLW that are supposed to hatch in ~5 days, so I'm hoping for at least 3 to make it.
smile.png

Right now it's the first choice as my first brooder, but it it's bad it'd be easy enough to replace it with a more suitable one.
smile.png
Thanks for the feedback!

I think I've read 2 sqft per bird, though our initial brooder was smaller. There should be room for the heat lamp to be in, and to raise or lower as needed.

Quote:
Eeee! I love you, I was wondering when this would be a yes or no thing, and its more awesome because I just candled again and half of them are tapping the shell when I make noise in the bator.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thank you for answer~!!

Quote:
Yessums, I was planning to put towels around it.
smile.png
But, I'm going to switch brooders anyway, so I can get to the chicks easier...
gig.gif

Thank you both for the help/feedback!!
love.gif
wee.gif

I set 96 eggs at a time, and I usually hatch over 90 of them. After hatching I usually put over 85 of them in one of my 5 levels in my GQF stack brooder. I think the brooders are aprox 30"x36". I keep them there for a week and then put half in another level and then at 2 weeks, I move them to the floor of my shed with 2 heat lamps. After they are 5 weeks old, I move them to my "pullet run". I think when they are 1-2 weeks old, they are better off in a cramped space to help they stay warm. I have had a lot of sucess with this method. I think 2sqft per chick is WAY too much for 1-3 weeks old. That would mean that 10 chicks would have to have a 4x5 ft brooder. That is way to big, IMO.

I think 2 square feet is the space you need for adult chickens in a coop.
I brood 10 chicks in a Sterilite container that is only about 18"x 36" until they feather out and can go in the big pen outside.

Quote:
That was my exact problem . . .

I built a 4x8 brooder, and only had 12 chicks . . .
The trouble was all that EMPTY space . . .

So now there is 35 chicks and 3 poults in it . . .
Wayyy better bird/sqft ratio, imo . . .
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
This was my exact problem . . .

wink.png

Doesn't sound like a problem to me
gig.gif

Quote:
That was my exact problem . . .

Wayyy better bird/sqft ratio, imo . . .
wink.png

Yep that would fix the problem there Chicken whisperer for sure (to much space buy more Chickens)
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom