is this a barred rock or something else?

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
Hi, I bought this "gal" along with another barred rock. the development has been very different, thought they are only a few days different in age. Her feathers are barred, but I would not say they are super crisp. Her tail has a rather low carriage, even with her back and short, almost tapering. Her neck and head she carries more like a guinea, long and low.I hope these are enough pics to compare. Also, not a hatchery bird. I saw the parents, they were very nice looking and "typey" but this person WAS breeding about 20 varieties of chickens at her location so I wonder if something else barred got mixed in? Her brooder boxes had at least 10 varieties clumped up together....

JerseyGiantfolk

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
It almost looks like a Marans.

Barred Rocks have yellow legs, and Marans have pink legs (sometimes feathered)

mkcolls

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Ohio
Looks like our Dominiques. Irregular barring, leg color, pea comb.

You'll know when she starts laying. Marans lay a very dark brown egg and Dominiques a light to med brown egg. She is very pretty.

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
It's hard to see her comb, but it looks like it's just an underdeveloped straight comb, not a pea. That would rule out Dominique. Her legs are pale in color, so I'd lean more towards a Marans. Her feathers don't have cuckoo patterning to them however.... you know it's possible the breeder accidentally mixed Marans in with Barred Rocks since they look somewhat similar. White legs are a dominant gene too, and would show up in offspring.

Top Bottom