Is this a big enough coop?!

Posh Chickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
West Midlands, UK
I have a stable, that is their inside bit, which is 11ft x 12ft, and their run is 22ft x 19ft.
Is this big enough for 20 chickens? I have 15 at the moment, also they free range every week.

80831_coop.jpg

80831_coop2.jpg

Plenty of room you could easily have 25. Your inside is 132 sqft and 4sqft per inside for each chick and you have 418sqft outside and its reccomended 10sqft per outside.

Last edited:
well according to chicken math you need 4 ft square space inside for each chicken (these numbers actually matter less as you have more chickens, imo). 11x12=132 sq feet. that is enough room for 33 chickens with that math.

jessica

Last edited:
Sure. 11x12 is about 120 sq ft i.e. twenty chickens would have 6 sq ft apiece; your run provides over 40 sq ft apiece. Palatial!
smile.png
Don't feel you *have* to stuff it with more chickens, either, although a bunch of BYCers will no doubt tell you that you should... it is GOOD to simply have happy comfortable chickens with good elbow room
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I'll definately stop at 20! I want a cockerel, I dunno though, I probably will have a trio in a ark, and sell the eggs. I'm thinking 3 RIR's, and 3 BCM's. I have 14 at the moment. I dunno?

If we didn't plan to move in the near future, I sure would do that with our barn. We have 3 10x10' stalls, and no other animals other than our beagle lol. I would like to raise both chickens and rabbits, and our barn would be great to do things this way.

Back
Top Bottom