Is this a Blue-Swedish/Mallard Hybrid?

rjflory

Hatching
Jan 30, 2024
We lost our "Squeaky"-duck to a predator in early January. She was a feral escape that walked cross-country onto our place one afternoon. Initially very skittish, but we became close friends and she loved to race me and our kayak around the pond.
She was small-to-medium in size, and not heavy at all. She laid white chicken-size eggs. Unless in direct sunlight, she actually looked black with white bib, underwings and wingtips. When the lighting was just right, she had bright green iridescent head and base of tail feathers.
We assume she was a "mutt", maybe with a bit of runner mixed in. Not a good flyer, but she could fly from the banks of the pond down to the water, or across the pond when she really wanted to.
Not very talkative, she squeaked and went "buck-buck-buck" like a chicken. We think she might have been raised with/by chickens, and had no early close-contact with humans.

Attachments

• rnkb700_02968b.jpg
    rnkb700_02968b.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 35
  • rnkb700_03612c.jpg
    rnkb700_03612c.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 18
Definite possibility, but I have had Rouen X pekin crosses with the very same coloration and markings.
How interesting! I had a ton of Rouen x Pekin crosses in the past, and all of them just looked like Rouens with some extra white above their eyes and on their wings 😅 Like this girl
IMG_1471.jpeg

I guess I always imagine Rouens having those dappled feathers, too.

After looking around the net for awhile, it seems she was likely a Black Swede, probably mixed with Mallard (as she was not large, weighing only 2..3 pounds at most- yet she was very-well fed). ;)

Back
Top Bottom