Is this a breeding or gene issue? and should I get a new Roo

In the transfer, the change was about 2 hours from under hen to incubator set at 99.5. But I have no idea what the situation was before I got them as in hen setting regularly or not. I candled them to see if they were developing or not. When I saw they were I put them in the incubator. NON of the chicks from that transfer has been successful. This is the only chick that has survived this long. I had 2 hatches both lived about a day or two and then both went downhill fast. They all had foot issues and needed to be splinted. This one is the only one from that transfer hatch that is alive and other than the leg issue is doing very well. But the leg issue is enough that it is affecting0 it eating and drinking because all energy go to the one leg.
Next time you use this uncubator, maybe add some eggs of a different breed to see if it is the incubator or the Silkie's inbred genepool causing the deformities.

In the video you posted, to me the left leg looks even kind of dislocated and twisted.

If a vet is not an option, I would cull as with increasing weight it will only get worse.

Next time you use this uncubator, maybe add some eggs of a different breed to see if it is the incubator or the Silkie's inbred genepool causing the deformities.

In the video you posted, to me the left leg looks even kind of dislocated and twisted.

If a vet is not an option, I would cull as with increasing weight it will only get worse.
I did, I had leghorns in there and they all hatched fine and normal. The only thing different was the transfer from where they came from and under mama to an incubator. But I had no way of knowing if the hen had been sitting regularly or not.

I agree the legs looks dislocated. Ok The vet is an option. I thought it was a tendon as when it would run around on the bedding it was slippery.

Before I make the final decision I am putting 8 fresh eggs into the incubator to watch closely and see what the0 outcome is. If they still have the issue I am going to start fresh and allow these hens to just lay eggs. They are all very sweet.

Before I make the final decision I am putting 8 fresh eggs into the incubator to watch closely and see what the0 outcome is. If they still have the issue I am going to start fresh and allow these hens to just lay eggs. They are all very sweet.

I keep all of my silkies. I will put hens with the new line cockerels as soon as they get big enough and my roo will get new ladies. they will live in 2 separate coops.

Back
Top Bottom