Is this a broody duck?

ethelandfred

Chirping
Apr 2, 2015
Vermont
Although I've had my ducky pair for over 2 years I'm still not familiar with some duck behaviors.

I had a little scare with a soft shell egg last week but my female has laid two pretty eggs since then and is in very good spirits.

Today she's been chattery while pursuing our flower garden and when I went to check it seems Ethel dug herself a little nest in the garden soil! Since I saw her I think I spoiled her fun, she then approached our goats hay and appropriated another spot way in the back - caught a pic this time.

After I walked off she popped out to go catch bugs with my male, Fred.

It's funny because both times she nested he stood by her the whole time, he wanted to go foraging but won't leave her. They're so cute!

She also laid this pretty egg on the lawn by her pool this morning.

So some questions; is this what "being broody" is? What causes this? I assume she's trying to lay/hide eggs away from us to raise?

Thanks for any input! I attached some pics below :)

Although I've had my ducky pair for over 2 years I'm still not familiar with some duck behaviors.

I had a little scare with a soft shell egg last week but my female has laid two pretty eggs since then and is in very good spirits.

Today she's been chattery while pursuing our flower garden and when I went to check it seems Ethel dug herself a little nest in the garden soil! Since I saw her I think I spoiled her fun, she then approached our goats hay and appropriated another spot way in the back - caught a pic this time.

After I walked off she popped out to go catch bugs with my male, Fred.

It's funny because both times she nested he stood by her the whole time, he wanted to go foraging but won't leave her. They're so cute!

She also laid this pretty egg on the lawn by her pool this morning.

So some questions; is this what "being broody" is? What causes this? I assume she's trying to lay/hide eggs away from us to raise?

Thanks for any input! I attached some pics below :)

Attachments

• IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    733.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    730.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 10
When a duck starts to go broody they will def lay their eggs and cover them, soon you'll see her off by herself laying on the nest of eggs and when she is off she'll walk around like a sumo wrestler all puffed and looking for a fight if anyone gets too close she'll also run around eating [big poop] and a jump in the pool before she once again goes back to her nest. And they make squeaking sounds if disturbed. They also pinch if you try and look under them. So saying all of that your female may very well be looking for the perfect nest sight just discourage any place that is not safe for her eggs or ducklings.

Very pretty ducks!

When a duck starts to go broody they will def lay their eggs and cover them, soon you'll see her off by herself laying on the nest of eggs and when she is off she'll walk around like a sumo wrestler all puffed and looking for a fight if anyone gets too close she'll also run around eating [big poop] and a jump in the pool before she once again goes back to her nest. And they make squeaking sounds if disturbed. They also pinch if you try and look under them. So saying all of that your female may very well be looking for the perfect nest sight just discourage any place that is not safe for her eggs or ducklings.

Very pretty ducks!
That makes sense, thanks for the response! She's never seemed interested in the eggs or nesting before so this behavior was totally new to me. But she'll be ~3/4 this year so maybe she's feeling more resposible haha.

Thanks! My male is a Cayuga and female a Black Swedish Cayuga mix I believe, she's gotten a larger white "bib" over the years. Even her little eyelids are white :)

Back
Top Bottom