Is this a buff Orpington???

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
I got this “buff orp” a couple months ago and named her Mrs. Prissy to go with my lavender orp roo Foghorn Leghorn (yeah I know two completely different breeds than the cartoons) but she has a bit of black on her tail is this an actual buff orp?
9B358827-3128-4751-A689-FA4DB7208597.jpeg
A649AF99-6780-4820-AA65-EA127E665116.jpeg
F3446488-7923-4B64-BC7D-80560F54AD80.jpeg

Yes, she's a Buff Orpington.
The black on her tail is just "leakage" from being hatchery quality.
My Buff Orpington has that same black on her tail feathers.

What does hatchery quality mean I have two birds that are but I just want to know
Hatchery quality (or can/will be called "pet quality"), just means they aren't of the most high quality. They don't quite come up to the SOP (standard of perfection), where if you get a bird from a breeder they'll be much more high quality.
Breeders breed to the SOP, where most hatcheries don't care a whole lot about since they're on a larger scale than breeders are.

Hatchery quality (or can/will be called "pet quality"), just means they aren't of the most high quality. They don't quite come up to the SOP (standard of perfection), where if you get a bird from a breeder they'll be much more high quality.
Breeders breed to the SOP, where most hatcheries don't care a whole lot about since they're on a larger scale than breeders are.
Oh ok because I got FBCMs from TC and one was really good in color of plumage looked just like every picture I see of marans and lays the most GORGEOUS chocolate brown eggs but the other lays eggs more similar to store bought color and doesn’t have that “pure” maran plumage

Oh ok because I got FBCMs from TC and one was really good in color of plumage looked just like every picture I see of marans and lays the most GORGEOUS chocolate brown eggs but the other lays eggs more similar to store bought color and doesn’t have that “pure” maran plumage
What does TC stand for?

Ah, that's what I thought.
TSC gets their chicks from larger scale hatcheries, so they'll be lower quality.
My buff, specked Sussex, and a barred came from a lady that gets them at auctions and has them on a big free range, and my FBCM rooster, EE, one bared rock, and a Dominique came from another lady who does similar but orders from online and raises them to sell for more money, my lavender orp, a terrible quality “maran”, and a good quality maran came from the “Rare breeds” bin at TSC

Back
Top Bottom