Is this a Buff Silkie ?!?!

If it's a hatchery chick, it could possibly be a buff with leakage in the wings, but it really looks partridge to me. Maybe, when it's a little older we can tell.

Check with the hatchery for what colours they offer. I have raised lots of different colours of Silkie. This looks like a Red. All my Partridges were deeper coloured and far more stripey. If you 'google' images for these plumage varieties, I think you will see the difference.

This bird is still to young to determine gender. In my opinion it takes several weeks to determine gender. (I ordered Silkies one time from the hatchery that claims they sex bantams-- paid a lot of money for the same ratio I get from non-sexed chicks and the breed quality was very poor. They did give me a partial refund however, but it still took a few months to verify who was a cockerel.)

Last edited:
Well, I'm still really new to silkies, but my vote is partridge! Maybe just a lightly marked partridge... is there such a thing? Adorable, no matter what color it ends up being!

I have a six month old white silkie cockerel/pullet. It acts like a hen, submissive, and has a gentle look in it's eye. Small black comb, but a little bigger than the hens and it has a few long stiffer feather sweeping back from it's head but not as many as the other obvious cockerels and it's smaller than them.
hmm.png
Anybody got a guess?

I have 2 partridges ..... they were darker ...........It would be neat if it was a red !!!! I PAID for this to be a HEN ...just sayin' ....we'll see !!!

Have you guys ever noticed that the Silkie rooster have a mowhawk and the Silkie hen have a circle of fluff on there heads and i can clear as day see a mowhawk
wink.png
and even as chicks if the chick is fatter then its a hen and if its skinny its just about almost always a rooster in Silkies .

Last edited:
I've had hatchery silkie hens with Mohawk type crests. Very ugly hens, i would never order silkies from a hatchery again. they looked like silkie-feathered spitzhaubens. but yes, true, quality hens should have a rounder crest than the males.

Back
Top Bottom