Is this a chicken or ???

that one is a male and if the other ones have the same color on their chest then they are males too.
Maybe whoever dump them there had too many males and wanted to get rid of some.

They are so cute! But if they all have the same cheast I'd say they are most likely to be girls
idunno.gif

Hmmm...Im betting someone dumped them, poor things. Check the qual board and see if anyone knows the sex
smile.png
Also they usually like a higher protein food
smile.png

Quote:
What????
And I don't count
Iraise coturnix quails. They are males I'm 100% sure

I wasnt saying you don't count. But when one says boys, and then one says girls, its not too consistant. I figured by sending them that way they could get more responces. I raise quail as well, and to me they look like boys, but Ive never raised the browns before, so im just going from what Ive saw. I raise colors that can only be sexed by a crow or an egg
smile.png

To answer some questions........I live in an area where there's a mix of homes with 5 acres and farms with large acreage. The quail were found on the edge of Wetlands so there wouldn't be any hunting in that area but people can hunt on their own property. I rarely hear guns being fired and because of farms animals and residences nearby most hunters use bow/arrow.

Crash is correct that they're all males. Photos I've found on the web also verify his description.

Since these birds are raised for their meat and eggs why would someone dump them vs just eating them? I've read where they're also used to train hunting dogs so maybe they were released afterward??

I'll probably keep them since they're cute birds and I like their personality. Plus, my granddaughter enjoys feeding them
smile.png
Now I've got to buy or build a larger cage/coop for them, especially since one was a bully. He's now in his own cage!
Think I can keep them all together if the housing is large enough?

Coturnix are usually not used to train dogs since there not so great flyers.
Becarefull coturnix are vicious little birds try not to stress them at all or they would kill each other!!!

Back
Top Bottom