Is this a chicken tumor? Any thoughts?

Chickihhn100

Hatching
Jan 25, 2022
Hello? This chicken is about 2 years old. I’m pretty sure she is a white Plymouth Rock. For about 2 weeks I’ve been seeing symptoms like penguin posture, repeated pushing, labored breathing and moaning. Poop is a little liquidy and she is discharging a lot of yellow liquid. No other chickens are showing any symptoms. I took her to the vet today to get their opinion. They think it is a tumor and since she is in a lot of pain, I should put her down. I wanted to get some more opinions before I make any decisions. Here is a picture of the mass. It is on the inside of the cloaca but the vet pushed it out to see it. X-rays shows that she is not eggbound. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• C709D015-E765-4C33-B30F-36ACF28AB43E.jpeg
    C709D015-E765-4C33-B30F-36ACF28AB43E.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 23
The vent is prolapsed in the picture. Was that taken in the vet’s office? That happens with straining to poop, pass an egg, or an obstruction. Try to put some honey or oil on it and push it back inside and hold it there for a few minutes. Keep her isolated until the prolapse stays in. If you have human calcium tablets with vitamin D3 or Tums, give her one. That can help with muscle contractions and to help pass an egg.

I totally agree it's vent prolapse. Most vets don't know much about chickens. The good ones usually admit it.

She has an obstruction. It doesn't have to be an egg. It can be a very small bit of tissue sloughed off the inside of the oviduct and not large enough to register on an Xray as an obstruction, but her body will contract to try to expel it. You can help her by giving her a calcium tablet to encourage the contractions. Calcium citrate with vitamin D is the best, but a simple Tums will do in a pinch.

Be sure she has plenty of water to drink as this can severely dehydrate her and make the situation much worse.

Back
Top Bottom