Is this a cockerel?

Not sure how they could have messed up with the ISAs since they are auto sexing but I guess mistakes happen!
ISA Browns are sexlinks, not autosexing.

Sexlinks are a one-time cross, while autosexing will breed true in the next generation (like Cream Legbars and Bielefelders)

But I agree that mixing up gender on color-sexable chicks is something no-one expects. Maybe someone was careless that day. Or maybe he is a Starlight Green Egger, and they messed up on some other method of sexing.

Supposed to be a colored egg layer… list of possibilities was: Marans, Olive Egger, Prairie Bluebell, Starlight Green Egger.

At this point I’m just hoping he’s not a broiler! Maybe he is a starlight green roo?

Forgot to add there were ISA browns in the box with him also. Maybe he’s an ISA roo? Not sure what they look like.

IIRC, ISAs are a variety of red sexlinks and their males are white as chicks.

Was he the extra chick in an order? If so, he could be just about anything.

Everyone has different experiences and opinions on this, but here goes mine. The roosters that were little pets as cockerels always seemed to turn bad as they matured. It’s like they suddenly felt too familiar and had to act stupid. The ones that I left alone and didn’t coddle have all been good roosters. They mind their business and stay away when anyone goes in the run/coop. Of course, there’s lots of people that can’t let it be that way. They feel like they can force their will on that bird and make a pet of it. Just my 2 cents.
Almost always my experience too, enough that I really should stop testing it.

Back
Top Bottom