Is this a detached egg cell??

petunias212

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
I've read about them but have never seen a detached egg cell, unless I have and didn't know what i was seeing...

I candled my 4 day old eggs (Ameracauana) and they are clear as a bell, aside from this dark glob that moves when I move the egg...is that dark glob that keeps moving when I move the egg (dark glob doesn't move by itself) the detached egg cell??

Last edited:
Wait till day 10 to candle...there will be development & you'll be better able to see & recognize what you're looking at!
smile.png

I detached air cell, looks like an air bubble that moves along the surface of the egg as you turn the egg. It is supposed to stay in the same place when you move it but if it moves when you move the egg, it is detached.

perolane - yes, I'll wait until day 10 and see if anything has developed - though kind of scared I might have infertile eggs due to the yolk moving the way it does - read somewhere that a yolk that moves freely like that whenever you move the egg is usually a sign of an infertile egg...not sure if that's true, just what i read

Jennifer, thanks for the air cell explanation - I don't see a bubble so far, just a dark glob....

If you hold the egg fat end up and shine a light straight down on it, you should see the air cell clearly outlined at the top. The dark blob is definitely the yolk.

i tried that, but can't see the egg cell...i think maybe with ameracauna (green and light blue colored) eggs that might be harder to see...and i definetly can't see inside my maran eggs so i'm not even going to try,

Quote:

Quote:

I could see the air cells with my ameraucanas and marans; the air cell was all I could see with the marans! LOL I use a small, high intensity maglite and place it against the fat end of the shell. The area that lights up is the air cell. If it doesn't show, it isn't attached. (in my case)

then i'm very unlucky because i have a 60 lumen led flashlight but can't see the egg cell....there's a big portion of the egg that is very light and i can see that, along with the dark glob at the fat end of the egg....but that's it...but again, i am inexperienced and just thankful i know what an "egg" is, lol!
smile.png

Quote:

I could see the air cells with my ameraucanas and marans; the air cell was all I could see with the marans! LOL I use a small, high intensity maglite and place it against the fat end of the shell. The area that lights up is the air cell. If it doesn't show, it isn't attached. (in my case)

Back
Top Bottom