Is This a Drake Feather? 5-6 Week Old Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RaZ, May 23, 2011.

1. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    [​IMG]

The duck in the back of the photo seems to have a curled feather (or 2). At this young age, can it be determined?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

How does it's quack sound? you could probably tell for sure by the quack. I know my Rouen/pekins were quacking by this age.

3. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    2 or 3 are quacking, but curly tail has been very quiet so far. They are always so close to each other that I really can't tell which one is actually quacking.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Try picking him up and see how he sounds. if it's raspy then you've got youself a definite boy.

ETA: it looks like the one in front of the duck in question ALSO has a curling tail feather... better check him too! lol

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That one you mentioned indeed looks like it has a drake feather. Nice ducks [​IMG]

6. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I lured them out of the pond and into the coop with frozen peas. That is like crack to them! Anyway, when I take them out in the morning, I'll try to catch curly tail and see what he says. I'm hoping that there is only one drake.

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it.

7. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:lmao thats what my daughter said. peas=duck crack.
    broccoli and beans are pretty awesome reactions in ours to.

8. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Lol.. what is it with peas and ducks! My kids tell me to stop cooking them peas and give them to the duck... apparently they call it 'sharing'.. ha! [​IMG]

9. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I'm positive that he's a drake. Mine had a tail EXACTLY like that at that age. It disappeared for a while when he molted, but grew back even curlier than ever.

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have tried to get mine to like peas but they could care less. I start them young and they will eat them while in the brooder but once out in grassy pens mine do not care for peas anymore.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by