Is This a Drake Feather? 5-6 Week Old Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RaZ, May 23, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Songster

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Mine much prefer thirty peas still on th plant in the garden. To bad they are piggies and the garden no longer can supply their wants

2. jbourget

jbourget Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Am i the only one who noticeed all those things in the water? what are they minnows for your aflac ducks to snack on???

3. RaZ

RaZ Crowing

Apr 20, 2011
    Paradise, MI
    Quote:They are fruits (samara) from the red maple tree. Strong winds have nearly stripped the tree, it looks like snow cover in my yard there were so many "helicopters" coming down.

The ducks seem to like playing with them, though.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yup, at least one drake feather there. Kinda looks like one on the duck in front of him too, but for your sake I'll hope it's just a trick of the angle and you've got a bunch of girls in there with him. [​IMG]

5. RaZ

RaZ Crowing

Apr 20, 2011
    Paradise, MI
    I think its the camera angle. When they are closer, I don't see the drake feather on the others, but they are still young. One drake would certainly be enough.

6. RaZ

RaZ Crowing

Apr 20, 2011
    Paradise, MI
    [​IMG]

Can leg size be a sex indicator as well as drake feathers and quacks? One heavy leg guy and 4 with slim legs.

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:It works that way with Muscovy... you can tell pretty early on which are girls by the "heaviness" of their legs. But a couple of weeks later you get a definite size difference

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: