Is this a fart Egg? Help please

GhostRider65

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
NE Wisconsin
Ok I have heard of and seen some strange looking eggs, with some interesting sounding names BUT what the heck is this? One of my Dels. layed this today I also got one around Xmas timel, whats up with this? is she sick? is she having some female troubles? should I be worried?
I cracked it open and it had a yolk though the smallest 1 I ever seen, maybe the size of my thumb nail, the last 1 had no yolk at all. What gives.....Kim

81831_img_1642.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not the most experienced with eggs, mainly cause my free loaders haven't laid any yet
wink.png
, but I think fart eggs are eggs with no yolk, or very small yolk? That looks like one though. I wouldn't be worried, from the information I have gathered here on BYC, sometimes a hen just has an off day and something in the egg making process doesn't work as it should. How old is the chicken? If it has just started laying she may not have all the kinks worked out yet. I'm sure she is fine, she just had an "oops" day. Hopefully someone comes along and gives more insight and has more experience than me!
smile.png

During the first year, following initiation of lay, occasional `cock' eggs, `rubber shelled' and shell `free' eggs. After first year, pretty uniform product.
One of the last, from our hens, `cock' eggs (name given because assumption was made that roosters laid the little ones) with hummingbirds for scale:

RubyMale051707.jpg

RubyFemale051707.jpg

Ivan, thanks, a new term. In a lifetime around chickens I have never heard the term 'cock eggs' or the theory that they were laid by the rooster. Proves that you are never too old to learn something.
old.gif

cute pictures......... yah must be a fatr egg...... it is even smaller than the one in your pic. she is a new pullet started laying in Sept was hatched May 25th. I was just surprised because hse has been laying a large normal Del, egg everyday or 2 since she started, sorta scared me I was afraid she was getting sick or something I love my Dels. They are so awsum heres the farter
81831_freckles.jpg

81831_img_1487.jpg

...I prefer to call them fairy eggs, and I have never had one out of my flock (or any of the other monsterous/strange eggs I have seen on here!)
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom