1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this a fertile egg???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fishman65, Aug 18, 2011.

1. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    OK forgive me but it has been a while....I know if you crack open an egg and it has the bullseye it is fertile but how do you tell if an egg is fertile "without" opening it????[​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Candling it.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Candling will do no good unless you start to incubate the egg. You would need to wait till day 6/7 to see anything and know if it is fertile via candling.

5. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    how can you decice if an egg is fertile without incubatiing it??? will a float test work..reason why....i am getting a lot of guinea eggs and only have a handfull of males...since it s a 28 day incubation period i only want to set the fertile eggs...very time consuming to set non fertile eggs

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:The only way is to incubate it for 6-7 days like FLChickens suggested. Then you can see if there is veining!!

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

a float test won't tell you if an egg is fertile.. all you can do is start incubating some.. candle around day 7.. see which are viable.. toss the rest.. add more eggs (mark them with the date).. and continue to do it that way until you have a full bator (or as many eggs as you want to hatch).. however doing it that way you WILL end up with staggered hatches

Staggered hatches like this CAN be done.. (i've done it successfully before, for a lot of hatches).. but for someone who is not used to doing a staggered hatch you can run into problems if you don't keep a close eye on air cells and humidity control

8. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    not what i wanted to hear but i guess it is the only way

9. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I candled at 4 days and could already see veining in those that were fertile. Just a bit less time to wait to find out. [​IMG]

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:yeah.. but at day 4 it makes it so there isn't really enough time between the staggered hatches to make life easier... you would run into more problems having batches 4 days apart than you would at 7

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by