Is this a Flatworm/Round Worm?

Pheonix

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
San Jose, Ca
One of my chickens has been having major loose stools for a week and I have been fixing things to see if it's stuff they are eating. I looked today and there was a ton of stool over night but it normal finally. Then looking around the yard I found this.

67554_img_7502.jpg

it is about 7 inches long and thought at first it was a worm they could eat, but then I saw the stripes and the head and wondered what it was. It leaves a lot of slime, like a snail. Here is a close up of the head and underside.

67554_worm.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks

huh... We do have tons of slugs, but they are usually short and fat and are just football shaped. I've never seen a head like this. And I'm in the middle of a city so I don't know where a leech would come from. Maybe it's a strange slug...

Thanks all.

Its a Land Planarian--Bipalium kewense or hammerhead flatworm. They are cannabalistic and eat primarily earthworms. I would kill any and all I saw. You can't chop them up because the pieces will become worms themselves. Dump salt or vinegar on them to desolve them. They are not native to the U.S. and are usually found in warmer climates. Although they can be found in other cooler areas. They came to the U.S. as hitchhikers, probably in soil.

Last edited:
Yep. That is a ribbon worm round these parts. Try slinging one off of you. They get like a foot l-o-n-g, and then snap back again.
I can handle a lot of things, but that always gives me the willies.

however, if you have the nerve, time, inclination, check out your kids biology book . you can slice the head in half and it should regenerate the other half. so you get a two headed planarian. I can't do that. even to something that gives me the willies.

Back
Top Bottom